tank badge installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tank badge installation

the stock gas tank on my '80 special was repainted several years ago and at that time the p.o. removed the tank badges and eliminated the brackets that hold them onto the tank. i just bought a pair of nos badges and since there are now no screw holes on which to mount them i'll be using 3M automotive double sided tape. my question is since the new badges are not curved to match the contour of the tank, how can i put a slight curve into them? btw, i only paid $29.95 including shipping for the badges, on ebay. not bad at all.

I would try a heat gun or a hair dryer. Get them warmed up evenly and carefully start working a bend into them until they match up with the contour of the tank.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
      i just bought a pair of nos badges and since there are now no screw holes on which to mount them i'll be using 3M automotive double sided tape. my question is since the new badges are not curved to match the contour of the tank, how can i put a slight curve into them? btw, i only paid $29.95 including shipping for the badges, on ebay. not bad at all.
      Hi Mark,
      put them in a shallow pan of clean cooking oil and heat to 130ºC but no hotter! because boiling water won't do it.
      Carefully drape the heated badges over an appropriately curved form so they set up to the appropriate shape.
      BTW 1) I doubt the PO ripped the badge mounts off the tank, more likely they are just buried in Bondo and you could dig for them.
      BTW 2) If those badges are not just the wrong curve but are totally flat they were meant to go on a Yamaha golf cart, they sell for ~$10 the pair and you got took.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X