No announcement yet.

Show me your engine removal methods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two guys and moving straps makes it a piece of cake also. When I wrecked the bike and confined to a four wheeled chair, I watched DBeardslee and Steppenwolf do it. Looked like I might have been able to do it with 20 broken bones.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Its not that difficult to get the engine out by yourself. After disconnecting everything i just jacked the engine up out of the mounts and wiggled it out the left side. I didn't take the oil filter cover or middle drive off. Out probably would of been easier if i rotated the engine to face the side then pull it out. But if you do have everything else off the frame it probably would be easiest if you put the frame and engine on the side then pull the frame off.
      USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
      78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Comment

Hi Dogg,
        four burly friends and a 24 of beer will do it.
        Same deal going back in.
        One tip:- lift first, beer later.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I think I'll just strap the motor to my engine hoist, then rotate the bottom of the frame out from under. Then I can set the motor down on something and pull the top of the frame over and off of it. I can do that with my dads help. Thanks all.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
            I just wish I could show you guys how easy it is to remove ANY inline or other quad or mower type engine with a tool I made. The lawyer is on the patent thing right now so I can not disclose but I can have an XS motor out in less than 2 minutes once everything is ready to pull it. Complete engine with middle drive etc is a one man job.
            Sounds intriguing. If you're involved in a patent process, then you can't divulge it pre-patent or you blow it forever and won't get the patent.
            Remember you fellow XSives when you're rich and famous, OK?
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The way I did it... quite a few times:

- remove the starter, pick-ups, alternator (even the rotor), middle drive, oil filter housing etc...
              - If you have one, remove the ballast resistor
              - Put bike on the centerstand, sidestand works as well, but not as well
              - Put an old car tire on the right side of the bike
              - Have 1 flimsy friend hold the bike from the front, while holding the front brake
              - Have 1 person on the left side and 1 on the right to move the engine onto the right lower frame tube (if you are worried about the paint there, put a cloth or something on the tube prior)
              - The guy on the left can now move to the right side, as the engine is sitting on the tube and the guy on the right only needs to balance it
              - 2 guys grab the engine, yell motherfornicator and lift it out of the frame and put it on the tire
              - Look for a place where you will be working on the engine, say motherfornicaor again and carry it there

- Open a cold one, congratulate yourself, stare at the now empty frame and how sad it looks

Last edited by strom; 12-17-2012, 05:41 AM.
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

LOL yup!

Looking at that pic reminds me............................................I really need to clean my garage.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've got all the stuff in that pic and more crammed into an 8x8 shed. Talk about messy.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Well, the garage is about 10x4m... but I have 2 seperate workbenches/spaces, a big ass compressor, 2 bicycles, 2 minimotos, 6 motorcycles, 4 chairs and a coffee table in there... along with wardrobes for the mc gear and tools and other stuff.
                    I should not be complaining, but I cannot fit another motorcycle in there and and not play tetris when I want to go for a ride.
                    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

There are 4 bikes in this pic. In front is Rockin'D's bare frame as we were starting to reassemble it, left SF, behind the frame is an E, my SG on the right and another SG rolling frame to the right of that.

To the left out of the pic is metal shelves 2' x 10' full of parts behind those you can see some of the 8 engines on the floor and there are 2 work benches under all that junk in the background.

I'm gonna need a dozer.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Damn. I feel lucky to have my manageable shed now.

Comment

So I just removed my motor tonight and it was super simple. Granted, I had removed the rear end, front end, air box, carbs and the wire harness. Regardless, if you simply disconnect the wiring from the motor and remove the air box and carbs you can do exactly what we did.

My brother and I laid the bike down on to a furniture dolly on the left hand side, then pulled the frame off the motor. If you don't have a furniture dolly just lay it on a blanket or piece of wood to keep it from scratching the motor on cement. I probably could have done it alone but it was nice to have someone to bull**** with and have a beer afterwards.

We tried pulling the motor from the left hand side first and didn't have much luck so we quickly turned around and pulled it from the right hand side in seconds. I recommend pulling from the right hand side of the frame if you're lazy and don't want to remove anything other than the air box and carbs.
                          Last edited by Manifesto; 12-21-2012, 01:35 AM.
                          78 E

Comment

Well there it is. I picked up on the engine with the hoist, then swung the bottom of the bike out from under. I wouldn't recommend this method if you care about your paint. There was some wrestling involved. I removed the bare minimum since I'm going to repaint anyway. When I put it back in, I will do as others have suggested, and set the frame over the engine on it's side. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Comment

Now that the engine is in my shed, I can work into the night. I'm going to get to crackin in a minute or 20. Here's one more quick question. My motor was seized when I got it, and I have to fix the gears anyway, so I'm going to tear the whole motor apart. Question is, If I lightly hone my cyclinders, do you think I would NEED to replace the rings? The bike actually runs fine and doesn't smoke. I just figured I'd give it a light cross hatch to clean up the cylinder walls and let the rings re-seat. In the past I have always replaced rings whenever I even took out a piston.

Comment

It should be fine if it wasn't smoking before and there isn't an excessive amount of rust pitting Dogg. Depending on how much the cyinders are out of round.

You might want to check that yourself or take the jugs to a machinist and have them checked. You'll need an inside micrometer and measure at several points.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X