newbie and i need major help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie and i need major help

I just got a 81 xs 1100 in a gun trade it was started as a bobber project the hardtail is tacked i have most of oem parts. I have the carb soaking right now. My question is will I be able ride my bike on my my birthday Jan 7th, I know that its gonna look great on the 7th but I need a birthday ride to clear my mind

81 XS11 Bobber

wing and a prayer

It might be your last birthday ride if those welds don't hold up!!!!!!!!!!! I have a perfectly good frame here if you decide to go back to orig. $ 150.00...sorry no title but you may be in an area that it might not be a prob......good luck man
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

Comment

taking it to the custom shop this week to get the the welds fixed and a bobber seat gonna run about $200, so the hard tail will be fixed and in mississippi apparently you dont need turn signals so I may be able to go for that ride. My goal is to have it rideable by jan 7 and completely awesome by april my budget is only $600 Is this doable? apparently my tanks and fenders painted and filled is gonna be about 250 so I guess the first few rides its gonna look crappy but I'm tired of the cage
      81 XS11 Bobber

Comment

hard tail......

Well...........ahhh......how does the eng. run? You will need a airbox or try and run pods...good luck on that! Headlight anywhere? I'd check out the oils in the eng., mid drive, and the final drive. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the final drive spline either...many go dry. Brakes ok? If you look on ebay ...as i did you can score some good stuff there and, shop around for good prices. There are some great guys in here that can help with parts as well.....600.00???...well that s all going to depend on whats needed to get you up and running. What is the shop charging you for welds redone? If you can do most of the work yourself you may pull it off!
        Last edited by brcree; 12-11-2012, 11:08 PM.
        At this time:
        1985 Goldwing Innr.
        1976 cb 750 cafe racer
        2007 vtx 1300
        81 sx 1100 s h
        81 sx 400 special

Comment

Originally posted by KBar87 View Post
          taking it to the custom shop this week to get the the welds fixed and a bobber seat gonna run about $200, - - -
          Hi Ken and welcome,
          does the pot-smoking imbecile who butchered the frame still have the parts he sawed off it?
          (And you swapped that effin' moron a firearm??????)
          Best would be to go get them and have the custom shop rebuild the frame so it has rear suspension again.
          That, or accept that kind offer on a good frame.
          But, to get that vandalized wreck back on the road for $600?
          Not unless you do most of the work yourself.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 12-11-2012, 11:15 PM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

mess

I agree with Fred.....man....your back will love you for it!.......I'll ship this frame to yfor what it costs me man!
            Last edited by brcree; 12-11-2012, 11:22 PM.
            At this time:
            1985 Goldwing Innr.
            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
            2007 vtx 1300
            81 sx 1100 s h
            81 sx 400 special

Comment

my frame....

....its a bare frame no extra stuff with it!...$150.00....that's a deal!
              Last edited by brcree; 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM.
              At this time:
              1985 Goldwing Innr.
              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
              2007 vtx 1300
              81 sx 1100 s h
              81 sx 400 special

Comment

If that budget includes the money to fix the frame, your running tight. I would focus on the mechanical stuff and let the cosmetics wait. The biggest expense I see missing is an exhaust system. These engines do not run well if it all without some back pressure, so straight pipes with no baffles or mufflers is not recommended. Depending what you can find, the exhaust can run you from $80-$400. And you will need some type of air filtration as well.

As to the frame, its your bike, make it what you want it to be. That said, I found it interesting that even Paul Tuetel Sr. of the famed OCC stated they needed to make all their production bikes soft tail. He stated he has major back and kidney issues from riding hardtails all his life. But hey, a few years won't cause perm damage.

Watch soaking the carbs, the butterfly shaft seals are rubber and can be ruined by the caustic type cleaners. I would strongly suggest going through the brakes to make sure the calipers and master cylinders are clean, grease and service all the bearings, both wheels, steering head bearings, even the swing arm bearings. The swing arm may not swivel anymore, but you want to be sure things are in good condition or it can become a moving part of your suspension.

I would pull the final drive off and use some good moly grease where the drive shaft slides into the coupling, and on the wheel where it slides into the final drive.

Good luck with your project, and hope your putting rubber to road on the 7th!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

no i already have the 200 aside for the shop to fix the welding, he gave me a big box of parts(even the cut off parts) headlight in blown so thats 100. I got it to turn over and start with the kick start. I have all the wires and everything so I think I can do most of the work myself minus welding hardtail and get a custom rear fender. I ordering both mater cylider rebuild kits. Anyon know where I can get new reservoirs theyre old and sund damaged?
                  81 XS11 Bobber

Comment

Originally posted by KBar87 View Post
                    Anyone know where I can get new reservoirs, they're old and sun damaged?
                    About all you can do.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=reservoir
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

little update took off all the covers today to take to work 2moro to sandplast prime and paint
                      81 XS11 Bobber

Comment

It is not a bad idea to use a rebuild kit, however, often times the calipers and the master cylinders can simply be cleaned and reassembled.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

I think the best help that we can give you to keep costs down is resources to buy the parts you need. I realize it takes time to tear into everything and check things out, but the faster you can give us a list of parts, the more we can point you to the cheaper vendors. I'm going to have to agree about waiting on the cosmetics. For the time being, you can strip the paint off the tank and fender, and coat it with a few cans of rustoleum rust reformer. It's some of the better piss can primer, and will look okay flat black.

You said the reservoirs are sun damaged, but if they work, paint them, and run em. Give us a list of parts that you need. Most of the members here have stuff laying around, and will probably sell them to you much cheaper than fleabay or anywhere else.
                          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                          X