Baffle Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffle Removal

Just curious if anyone else has removed their baffle from their exhaust? I have a 4 to 1 exhaust and the baffle fell out one day when I was riding and got run over by a car. Upon further investigation on how this happened I learned that the previous owner didn't have the screw thats supposed to keep the baffle in place.

Anyway I have noticed since then that 1) Obviously my bike is stupid loud, which I've grown accustom to and find it fun, especially when I'm on my college's campus 2) My top is a ton better! 3) My low end is slightly worse.

I know that these are all typical things that happen when the baffle is taken out because of the backflow that the baffle created is now not there anymore. I am curious if anyone else has this on their bikes and if they have had any problems since then because of it.

My neighbors hate me, but I can beat a lot of the stupid GSXR type bikes.
    80 XS11 Bobber/Rat

Well, the engines need some backpressure to run well. You are quite possibly running lean now without the baffle in place. People have not had great success with open pipes. Even professionals say they are absolutly worthless for anything others than wide open throttle.

Not only the worthlessness of open pipes, you are probably violatine noise ordinance laws with them. Get some baffles, there are replacements.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You should have someting in there. I know some companies (look on the WWW) make generic baffles that can be used in a multitude of exhaust and I know that SuperTrapp makes a tuneable plate baffle that can be fitted to the tail end.

If you managed to pick up the back plate from the street then perhaps you can make your own baffle from that. I did one (sorrry I dont have any pics) where I took a 12" long piece of simple chain link fence top rail which is about 1 1/2" id (about the same as your header pipe), drilled about 100 5/16" holes through it in a staggered pattern and then brazed it onto the rear end cap. Then I covered the baffle in muffler packing and slit it in. It is a straight through design but works very well and I get good response through all RPM ranges. If you do care to tune it then any type of adjustable blockage on the front of the baffle (forcing gasses through the packing and holes) will work. Mine just happens to be tuned right as is.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by tjdudeman View Post
        My neighbors hate me
        Well, IMO, that's a good enough reason to get a baffle back in, since you are obviously aware that they don't like it. They probably have children or babies which they've lulled off to sleep with difficulty and then you turn up sounding like a Sherman tank and wake everyone up. It's anti-social and it's pointless, as the bike really isn't meant to run like that anyway. One day you may need a jump start, or a push, or some tools. Friendly neighbours are usually very helpful.........
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The range where your bike suffers can cause real problems with the combustion cycle. It can cause some heat in the "downstream" sides of the carbs and can glaze the plugs. In short, if it doesn't run right, you can do some damage to the engine. I had some crappy muffs that caused a loss of power at about 2800 rpms and the above symptoms happed to my carbs and plugs before I rescued her!!!
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
          03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

WHAT?????? I can't HEAR you.
            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

I may be wrong, but I don't remember stock mufflers having a removable baffle. I dissected a set one time (stupid) and they were welded or held together with rivets. Post a pic of what mufflers you have.
              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Correct, stock pipes do not have removeable baffles.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I bet like my XS you have slip on Jardine mufflers. Quite common in the day- cut off oem rusted mufflers and attach Jardine set to the OEM pipes. I met an old feller with a ear shattering loud 1970s KZ900. He had the Jardines but drilled the rivets and removed the innards. Then he rivited back in a large washer for a cap.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                    I bet like my XS you have slip on Jardine mufflers. Quite common in the day- cut off oem rusted mufflers and attach Jardine set to the OEM pipes. I met an old feller with a ear shattering loud 1970s KZ900. He had the Jardines but drilled the rivets and removed the innards. Then he rivited back in a large washer for a cap.

These are the Jardines. The KZ I mentioned had Jardines and the mufflers looked identical.

Comment

Being as the OP posted that he had a 4 into 1 I highly doubt any of the info about stock pipes is applicable. As someone said earlier if a pic is posted it may be easier to help out.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Sorry about the delay of response time. But here is a pic of my exhaust. I am up in Wisconsin now for winter break since I am a college student in Florida and my family is in Wisconsin.

So, this is the only picture of my exhaust that I have at the moment. Hope this helps at all.
                        80 XS11 Bobber/Rat

Comment

Hey TJ,

Your pipes do look like the MAC black 4-1 type pipes like I have. You didn't say whether you collected/rescued the baffle end that got run over or not?
                          That end plate is pressed/formed with a prominent lip to fit inside the cone and should have been bolted in position! If you still have the end plate, then as has been stated, you can get another replacement baffle piece to put back into the end of it.. find a muffler shop that would be willing to weld the baffle back into place in the end plate.

Otherwise, you'll need to get some decent thick metal gauge plate material and fashion a replacement end plate for it.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you T.C.

The baffle was recovered but is in bad shape. They are 4-1 to exhaust but oringinaly chrome but I painted them black. I can still use the dimensions of the baffle to create a new one though. I know how to weld and my campus has a nice tig welder that I can use to put in a new end piece.

Thanks for the help that makes sense.
                            80 XS11 Bobber/Rat

Comment

I have a very similar if not the same exhaust. And my baffle blew out one day to. I was using the exhaust without a baffle and i couldn't get it to run good, it wasn't running good with the baffle in either. Eventually i ended up changing my engine for other reasons and now the bike ruins great without the baffle and even without a muffler at all. It is not as strong on the low end bit it is better than spending $400 that i don't have on an exhaust.

If you want to run without a baffle then do it. The carbs can be synced to run good without baffles. I've done it.
                              USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
                              78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X