Interchange forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchange forum?

Ok,so I was lookin?g in Steve's interchange forum,which by the way is very well put together,but what I was looking for,wasn't in there,or at least my bad eye;s didn't see it. I was wondering if a 81 Venturer seat will fit a 80 sg,and if the standard tank will fit on a special? If so,anyone got a pic of either or both on the special? Thanks.John
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Hi Cuda,
    I could be interested in the Venturer seat if it does not work for you.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
      Ok,so I was lookin?g in Steve's interchange forum,which by the way is very well put together,but what I was looking for,wasn't in there,or at least my bad eye;s didn't see it. I was wondering if a 81 Venturer seat will fit a 80 sg,and if the standard tank will fit on a special? If so,anyone got a pic of either or both on the special? Thanks.John
      Not sure about the seat but the tank will fit with some modification. JWHughs has a standard tank on his SG.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
        I was wondering if a 81 Venturer seat will fit a 80 sg,and if the standard tank will fit on a special? If so,anyone got a pic of either or both on the special? Thanks.John
        The 'Venturer' is a 'standard', so the seat fit will be subject to the various caveats noted in the interchange guide. You'll have to remove the grabrail/tailight assembly or cut away the rear of the seat, and you'll have a fairly large gap between the seat and the sidecovers.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          The 'Venturer' is a 'standard', so the seat fit will be subject to the various caveats noted in the interchange guide. You'll have to remove the grabrail/tailight assembly or cut away the rear of the seat, and you'll have a fairly large gap between the seat and the sidecovers.
          When I put the SF seat on my SG I just changed the rear fender to the SF fender with the tail light down on the fender.

The TCI is in a different spot standard to special so that could pose a problem. The indent in the seats are in different spots. The special under the front and the standard under the rear.

It would be a wiring problem to move the TCI rearward I would think.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, the TCI was moved under the seat on the standards in '80, so that's not insurmountable. The fender swap is a different kettle of fish; the only fender that will do what you did is the '79SF, so options there are more limited. The standard fender won't go without some serious work....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

So if the TCI won't be a problem why wouldn't an SF rear fender work?
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Didn't say a SF fender wouldn't work, but the trick is to find one....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

They're not that hard to find. I have a couple.

Remember you had me try that hinged F fender on the special? It bolted right up, as a matter of fact I think it's still bolted to that SF frame I put it on.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Remember you had me try that hinged F fender on the special? It bolted right up, as a matter of fact I think it's still bolted to that SF frame I put it on.
                    Yeah, but the '80-81 special frame is different from the '79 and the standard hinge bracket won't fit without mods....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Inner fender is different too. On my 81H I have both the wrong inner fender and the wrong (comfortable)seat. TCI is stuffed in the tool box

Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I have an SG frame in the garage I'll try that fender on it tomorrow but the SF fender fit right on the SG no problemo. I just had to rewire the tail light.

If that F fender fits the SF I can't see the problem with it going on an SG. The only thing I see different about the inner fenders is that the TCI mounts to the plastic on a special and on the metal on the standard.

I could be wrong. I'll see.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

oh boy,did I open a can of worms?,Is the tank swap a major mod? I could have the seat redone with memory foam for some $$. I'd like it a little lower anyway.Wish my wife would part with some of her $$,I'd send it out to Sargent's. I like the special tank,but not enough room for fuel,and I refuse to bungee on a 2 gallon can to the handlebars.
                          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                          1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

I don't know if you've been on many long rides but your butt appreciates getting off the bike about every 2 hours, (100 miles). and if there are no gas stations within that 100 miles your on the Alaskan Highway.

LOL Just sayin'.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

my old a$$ knows this all to well. I don't do to long a ride anymore,more because of my back than my a$$.
                              FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                              1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Working...
                              X