Carb slides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb slides

I have been screwing with this bike for so long that I can't remember how it worked when it worked.

After cleaning the carbs, I have two slides that slide up and spring back down quickly, and two which show some resistance that seems to be vacuum related. I think that is how they should work. The other two close and open quickly, without any resistance.

Could someone clue me in as to which ones are correct and how to get the others the same?
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Check them for holes in the diaphragms or possibly not seated correctly.
    Clean/polish the slide bores.
    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
      I have been screwing with this bike for so long that I can't remember how it worked when it worked.

After cleaning the carbs, I have two slides that slide up and spring back down quickly, and two which show some resistance that seems to be vacuum related. I think that is how they should work. The other two close and open quickly, without any resistance.

Could someone clue me in as to which ones are correct and how to get the others the same?
      We don't know yet, since you left out part of the check procedure.
      Look at the inlet end of the carbs, and you will notice an opening at the top of the hole that looks like a little hotdog.
      Push the slide up as far as it will go, and while holding it up, put something that will not pass air over the hole. I use my thumb, but it doesn't have any big crevices to leak air.
      Let go of the slide. It should drop a quarter of an inch, and then stop, or continue to go down very slowly, depending on how tight you sealed the hotdog hole, and how many internal leaks are in the diaphram.
      Go do that, and let us know the outcome.
      By the by, dirt in the slide will not be a good thing, so go clean them throughly.
      We'll wait. CZ

Comment

Aye aye, Cap'n...that's what I was looking for.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

jat, if the choke plunger isnt closing off
          or sealing properly when closed on a particular carb
          that will also affect how they slide.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
            jat, if the choke plunger isnt closing off
            or sealing properly when closed on a particular carb
            that will also affect how they slide.
            There is that hole next to the main jet needle that leads into the diaphragn/culinder area. The diaphragm should drop as the air escapes through that hole...right?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
              There is that hole next to the main jet needle that leads into the diaphragn/culinder area. The diaphragm should drop as the air escapes through that hole...right?
              yep thats right,
              but the slides should drop slowly and evenly.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X