Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 grab rail

Hello all!

Not too long ago, I restored my '78 XS750E.
    While I was doing so, I had a seat grab rail rechromed for it, but when I tried to install it, it wouldn't fit! The bolt holes didnt line up to the sides of the seat.
    I'm pretty sure its from an XS1100.
    I was wondering if someone could measure theirs up for me to confirm this, so if I sell it, I can advertise it correctly!

Cheers,

Steve

Grab rail

That looks like a grab rail from a '79 special. But other folks here will be able to confirm that better than I can.

More importantly, that 750 standard looks great. Nice job.
    Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
    mods to come

Comment

If ur interested, I sold a complete NOS Hooker 3-2 system to a guy down in a Chicago suburb. I think he tried adapting it to an 850, and it did not pan out so he is selling it on Ebay. Here is a link to the post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS-75...c7b666&vxp=mtr
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

That is definitely a grab rail for our standards, not the special. I can assure you of two things: one, that is a Standard grab rail for a 750-D/2D/E/F, and two, you are missing the end caps going on the ends of the t-section.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJon View Post
          That looks like a grab rail from a '79 special. But other folks here will be able to confirm that better than I can.

More importantly, that 750 standard looks great. Nice job.
          As Ian said, its deffinately for a standard model, it looks near identical to the one thats on my seat, just slightly different size.

Thanks for the comment about my 750 - it sure wasnt cheap getting to that stage, and took a couple of years of locating parts/rebuilding the whole motor etc.
          It was pretty much built with original parts, lots of extremely hard to find NOS parts (eg complete front master cylinder), but a few things have been upgraded such as '81 XS850 ignition and transmission, k&n air filter, braided brake lines, and at the moment I'm refurbing a set of 76 series Koni shocks to look similar to the original KYB's.

Also, if I really want to show off, I've got a set of these to go on:

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          If ur interested, I sold a complete NOS Hooker 3-2 system to a guy down in a Chicago suburb. I think he tried adapting it to an 850, and it did not pan out so he is selling it on Ebay. Here is a link to the post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS-75...c7b666&vxp=mtr
          I saw that on ebay during the week, I've posted it on the yamaha-triples forum already! Would love to put that on my Triple Cafe Racer, but it also has an XS850 oil cooler which will cause clearance issues!

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          That is definitely a grab rail for our standards, not the special. I can assure you of two things: one, that is a Standard grab rail for a 750-D/2D/E/F, and two, you are missing the end caps going on the ends of the t-section.
          I've got end caps here somewhere, otherwise they can still be bought brand new!

Comment

Are those th fabled gx750 rims? Lucky u..lol...Beautiful looking...wish they were more around..would look good on my scoot...
            _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
            1980 gs1000g "stock"
            1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
            2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
              Are those th fabled gx750 rims? Lucky u..lol...Beautiful looking...wish they were more around..would look good on my scoot...
              Yeah - they're priceless now - I lost count on how much $$ I've spent on them!

So - anyone able to help out with measuring the mount distance on their Standard XS11 seat grab rail?!

Comment

Little hard for me to measure since the bags are in the way, but it looks like it is roughly 4.25 inches center to center.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have a set of those wheels, I may part with them for a sum of dollars.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Just a quick question as to why your wheels would compare?
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Didn't realize he was talking about the spokes. I thought he meant the 750 18" rear wheel.
                      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                      X