Slow top end......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow top end......

Well.....the monster is back together and have been able to take her out a few times now. It doesn't seem to want to go any faster than about 50 or so??????? starved for gas?....no octy....inline fuel filters...stock jets.....carbs have beencleaned and syncd. Any thoughts?
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

How did it run before you made changes....what changes did you make if any? Have you verified the fuel lines are not pinched anywhere?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

top end

Hey DG, good to see you again....well this bike was a barn find ( snotter)......hadn't ran since 85. Good compression.......and have had to do the dremel 2nd gear fix....so PO must have dogged it! Haven't made any changes from stock. I have the fuel lines passing over the boots going to the airbox...I don't like it and thought maybe passing them under the boots...what do you think?
      Last edited by brcree; 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM.
      At this time:
      1985 Goldwing Innr.
      1976 cb 750 cafe racer
      2007 vtx 1300
      81 sx 1100 s h
      81 sx 400 special

Comment

Well, there are plenty of folks who run the fuel lines like that with great success. For me, every time I tired it I had one line or another kink up or air lock on me.

I do not use the Octy, I hook the fuel lines to the ON port of the petcock, and straight down between the 1-2 or 3-4 airbox inlets. I put the pyramid shaped in-line fuel filters on, they fit between the inlets. I run the left side petcock to the 1-2 carb inlet, and the right side petcock to the 3-4 carb inlet. Most direct route. I do leave enough fuel line between the filter and the carb so it loops down and almost touches the engine case. Leaves plenty or room for lifting the tank up to remove the lines.

Now, this is like asking what oil to use, there are many ways to run the lines, and every one has their favorite. This is what I have found works best for me.

Since you have no history on this bikes performance, fill us in on a few more details. What year bike, what year/style carbs, POD or airbox, stock or aftermarket exhaust, 4-2 or 4-1? Does it run smooth and poerful in the low end, and then just run out of steam at the top end? Is it at a certain RPM no matter what gear you lose power?
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

My first thought was air/fuel issue, but, that could be a little ignorant. What kind of airbox are u running? Stock or pods? If ur running crap pods, maybe an airpassage in the bell is being blocked?

Vacuum advance?
          Plug color?
          Mufflers blocked?
          Full power in lower gears?

Just a few of the many thoughts in my head. If you look back a year or two, I actually have a thread on here that I hi-jacked from another member regarding this issue on my XS750. Ended up being cheap pod filters.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Top end

The year......81 S H model
            Carbs have the recessed Air/Fuel needles.
            Stock air box
            Stock Pipes.
            It feels good going up through the first 4 gears...and seem to peter out in 5th. I rev it up to around 4 grand between the shifts. I'm going to try your fuel line routing.......I have the pyramid type filters as well....and yes they are installed correctly....ha ha. It just seems like this bike should be parting my hair by the time I get in top gear. Good stuff Ean......that was my next thought on the vac advance......what can be checked on this system? Ean....do you remember the title of that posting from way back?
            Last edited by brcree; 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM.
            At this time:
            1985 Goldwing Innr.
            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
            2007 vtx 1300
            81 sx 1100 s h
            81 sx 400 special

Comment

It's the mechanical advance that can give you power issues, not so much the vacuum advance, vac. advance is mostly for fuel economy. The 81 models use an electronically controlled timing advance which is controlled thru the TCI which should be a 4R0 type. There should be no mechanical advance weights behind the timing plate for this system. All the earlier systems (78-80) used regular mechanical advance (spring & weights mechanism) behind the timing plate paired with the 2H7 TCI box which has no advance mechanism built in. I would check your system and see if you have mismatched components which would fail to properly advance the timing, causing loss of power. When you finally do get it running right you better be holding on tight bro.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Thanks Phil: so you are saying the 4ro TCI box shouldn't have anything behind the timing plate..correct....and the 2h7 box will?
                At this time:
                1985 Goldwing Innr.
                1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                2007 vtx 1300
                81 sx 1100 s h
                81 sx 400 special

Comment

Originally posted by brcree View Post
                  Thanks Phil: so you are saying the 4ro TCI box shouldn't have anything behind the timing plate..correct....and the 2h7 box will?
                  Correct, which TCI are you running?
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Yes and no, example when I got my Venturer back it had a 2H7 TCI. Wasn't correct, but ran....after a fashion. In other words, TCI type doesn't necessarily conform to advance type. PO's can end up with who knows what. 81 only used the 4RO TCI. So, what TCI lurks under the seat?
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30214
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The year......81 S H model
                        Carbs have the recessed Air/Fuel needles.
                        Stock air box
                        Stock Pipes.
                        It feels good going up through the first 4 gears...and seem to peter out in 5th. I rev it up to around 4 grand between the shifts.
                        You're barely getting it out of IDLE rpm, can it actually REV up to 7500 or so in any gear??? If it won't rev much more than 4k, then I would suspect what the others have stated, you probably have a mismatched TCI... someone being told their OEM was burned or mess up, and put a 2H7 series in it instead of the 4Ro, and that will NOT run very fast or strong because of no cent. adv. action !

The 4RO TCI's were only made for 1 year, and are often rather pricey because of that. Some folks have taken the mech. adv. parts from an earlier model and put it on their later machine so that they could use the earlier style TCI!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

top end

Will be taking a gander under the seat today...will report back!
                          At this time:
                          1985 Goldwing Innr.
                          1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                          2007 vtx 1300
                          81 sx 1100 s h
                          81 sx 400 special

Comment

Top end..............

OK...here it is: TCI Box is a 4RO-10....looked under left eng. cover and don't see the mech. adv. bits...just a couple of black plastic covers (pick-ups) I'm guessing.
                            At this time:
                            1985 Goldwing Innr.
                            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                            2007 vtx 1300
                            81 sx 1100 s h
                            81 sx 400 special

Comment

Just a thought, back in the summer of 2011, one of my pick up coil wires opened up on me. (didn't know that was it at the time) and I had to limp it home from work.
                              Basically, it was running on 2 cylinders the whole ride on the interstate.
                              I could barely maintain 55MPH at WOT. It was really slow to accelerate.
                              I ended up burning a hole in #3 piston.
                              Anyway, I bring this up in case you might have a pick up coil issue.

It could also be drawing a vacuum on the tank with the larger demand of fuel at the higher speed/load, try poping the lid off the tank and see it the problem is still there.
                              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                              The Green Monster
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                              Got him in '04.
                              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                              Scarlet
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                              Hugo
                              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                              X