I mounted some Harley pipes today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mounted some Harley pipes today...

Here are a couple of photos of the Harley pipes I mounted today...
    They sound great, and weren't too difficult to install.
    I need to find some proper clamps, because the ones I have on there at the moment are the bolt style, and they stick out too much.
    I made the rear bracket out of a piece of strap iron with a dog leg in it.
    I even managed to fit the chrome covers over where the clamp goes, although they will fit better with proper clamps.
    Thanks for all of the help, I wouldn't have gotten them done without all of the ideas and tips on the forum.

80 SG

Really nice look, great job.
    81 H

Comment

Not clear how they are mounted. Could you take a couple of pictures.

Also, what pipes are those?

Thanks,

Aches
      1995 KZ100P
      Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
      Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Very nice. Whats the sound like?

Comment

Here are some more close up photos of the bracket I made...
          It's a pretty simple setup.
          I have no idea what type of Harley that these pipes came from.

80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by UtahXS View Post
            I have no idea what type of Harley that these pipes came from.
            Those look like RoadKing mufflers. There will be a part number stamped on them, if you can post those they can be identified. The number will be two digits followed by five digits. There may be a letter on the end, include that if present.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey UtahXS,

What's the propensity of those pipes dragging when leaning through a corner with the routing running them lower to the ground than stock? How does the bike run without the crossover?

Any input is helpful, as I have a set of 2005 Road King muffs at the ready (given to me by a Harley rider that changed pipes), but I am planning on getting a set of Sportster muffs to graft onto my stock system (smaller diameter will mate to the stock system vs. the larger diameter Road King pipes), as it's the rear 7-9" on each muff that is rusted, the rest of the system is solid, and I want to keep the crossover intact.
              Last edited by Bonz; 12-29-2012, 06:47 PM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Well... I have to admit, I have only driven the bike less than 30 miles since putting the pipes on it. It warmed up to 21 degrees today, so there is no way I'm going to try riding in this weather. Also, I've never been a very aggressive driver, as far as leaning over in my turns, so I don't see an issue for me as far as dragging the pipes goes... BUT, they are low enough that they would drag if you are very aggressive in how you ride. Also, the kickstand doesn't quite go all the way up, so I would imagine that it would drag first before the pipes did.
                The bike runs really good with these pipes. I don't see any need for a crossover, because the pipes offer lots of back pressure. I live at 6000 ft above sea level, so anything I can do to richen up the mixture should help. They sound great, nice and quiet at idle, but still pretty loud if you open it up. The worst part was putting a dent in them so that the brake pedal would work.
                Hope this helps... I'm happy to answer any questions you have, if I can.
                Thanks,
                80 SG

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am not aggressive in my riding, but I do lay it in to the turns once in a while. I think I'm gonna stick with my plan to graft the back ends of a some Sportster mufflers onto the stock set up after cutting the rusted ends off, keeping the ground clearance and stock lines of the bike.

Yeah, it's been cold here as well after being really warm all the way up to early December. Not getting out of the 20's for at least a week after the New Year gets here.

Have a good one!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I have the same pipes in my daughters 80 midnight special and the only thing that gets scraped is the kick stand in a deep left hand turn. The pipes hold it down farther than it should because of the fatter pipes. Had to take the center stand off. It was scraping in the slightest of turns.
                    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Let us know how good it runs in the midrage transition (2800-3200 rpms).
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                      03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

I don't have much to compare it to...
                        I've never ridden an xs before this one.
                        The closest I've had is I used to own an old GS1000... And this one runs just as good if not better than that one.
                        I don't notice any hesitation through the whole range of rpms, but unless I compare it to a perfectly tuned xs1100, I can't say for sure.
                        80 SG

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I have run Sportster muffs for 7 years now, no crossover. Have noticed no problems with the set up.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I ran my 1100 with sportster mufflers (catalytic converter in each) with no crossover. Seat of the pants I noticed no difference. A crossover is a benefit- thats a given but what do you do when the bike is old, and available parts are scarce AND $$$$$$.

Comment

Working...
                              X