Header nuts and bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header nuts and bolts

My nuts are in bad shape. there old and i think new nuts would work better. What would be the best place to start looking. Thanks

There are serveral ways you can do this.Remove one of each,make sure to count to see how many you need and go to a hardware store and match them up.That would be the cheapest way and they might not have everything you need but it will take care of most of them.Next would be to take them to a dealer,they still might not have exactly what you are looking for either but be prepared to pay,some of them are not cheap and the dealers think highly of them.Go back in the shop and ask.You never know. This covers the bases.You will have to do a little leg work but that is part of the game.Hope this helps
    Bill Harvell

Comment

On my XJ the header nuts use a metric allen wrench to remove or tighten, they are not hex nuts. Don't know if the XS is the same. You might want to try getting the XJ style as these don't round off and are easy to work with as long as you have the right size allen wrench. Yamaha part number is 90179-08273-00.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The XS is the same as the XJ. It's a sort of barrel nut. The stud length is kinda critical also, so they don't protrude through the nut and interfere with the allen wrench. I had to replace the studs in mine when I installed the Jardine headers. The originals were not long enough.

Comment

I put a used Jardine 4-into-2 on my XJ using the stock manifold nuts and studs, no problems with stud length. I do check the nuts for tightness more than I did with the stock system, though.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill
              There are serveral ways you can do this.Remove one of each,make sure to count to see how many you need and go to a hardware store and match them up.That would be the cheapest way and they might not have everything you need but it will take care of most of them.Next would be to take them to a dealer,they still might not have exactly what you are looking for either but be prepared to pay,some of them are not cheap and the dealers think highly of them.Go back in the shop and ask.You never know. This covers the bases.You will have to do a little leg work but that is part of the game.Hope this helps
              I`am going to have to read more slowly .Good luck
              Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                I put a used Jardine 4-into-2 on my XJ using the stock manifold nuts and studs, no problems with stud length. I do check the nuts for tightness more than I did with the stock system, though.
                That's strange, I have an XJ engine in my bike, and I had OEM Midnight Special pipes on it. When I installed the Jardine 4-2 header, the studs were about 1/2 inch too short. The difference was in the collar on the pipes where they mate up to the head. The studs wouldn't reach the flanges. Go Figger...

Comment

When I bought my 1st set of Jardine 4 to 1's, they came with two sets of header pipe adapters. One set was for the special and one set was for the standard. I can'e remember which set I used for the standard, but the difference was the lengths. My second set of Jardine 4 to 1's was ordered specifically for the bike that I had and it came with only one set of adapters (to save Jardine cost?). I think if you write or call Jardine and tell them, they will send the right ones, OR you might be able to find something suitable and cut it to size.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X