What is it and what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it and what does it do?

WTF is this and what does it do? There is one on each end of the crankshaft on an 11G motor. Never knew it existed until I pulled this motor down. Wish I had just stuck a head on it and run it after I saw how the bearings etc. looked. I know someone knows, just not me.

2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

What it is

Rasputin,
    Do you mean the ball bearing mashed in there thingy?
    That is an oil galley plug. They drill a series of holes in the crank that form a way to get oil to the bearings and use the staked ball bearings to plug the corners of the route.
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Ok I will buy that for a dollar but how does the oil get into it? Unless there is a point I do not see there is no oil inlet to it unless it is a factory only oiling point.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Well.....

I believe the path is through the crankshaft bearings, through the crankshaft itself and then through the rod bearings to the wrist pins.
        LuckyEddie
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
        1982 XV750J Virago
        1976 GL1000
        1978 GL1000 Supercharged
        1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Since you're in there, turn the crank until you see a hole in the main bearing journal. Poke a wire in the hole, and see which direction the hole goes. See if it goes to the ball bearing thingy. Then see if you can see how to drill a hole to get to the rod journal, starting from the ball bearing thingy.
          Feed the oil to the main journal, and every time the crank goes around, the oil holes line up and you send some oil to the rod. Simple, no? CZ

Comment

Since you're in there, turn the crank until you see a hole in the main bearing journal. Poke a wire in the hole, and see which direction the hole goes. See if it goes to the ball bearing thingy. Then see if you can see how to drill a hole to get to the rod journal, starting from the ball bearing thingy.
            Feed the oil to the main journal, and every time the crank goes around, the oil holes line up and you send some oil to the rod. From there, it is splash to the piston and pin. Simple, no? CZ

Comment

The ball bearing thingy is for manufacturing purposes only. Those are the holes they used to drill for the oil passages. Leave it alone.
              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
              X