Sandy Devastation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Devastation

Thought it best to move the resurrection of my Sandy Now Project Bikes here. I have been soaking the carbs for about a week now. I just can not seem to get the butterflies to move at all I am afraid to force them to much. Anyone have any thoughts on getting them to move? Thanks Gordon
    82 XJ1100J
    81 Venturer
    Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

What are you soaking the carbs in? Berryman's? Pinesol?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Soak

Pinesol change out every other day Hit with some spray and oil while out of the bath and run in hot water and back in fresh soak
      82 XJ1100J
      81 Venturer

Comment

Hopefully not Berrymans as that will eat the shaft seals. If they're really frozen, I'd split the rack if you haven't already done so and 'work' each one individually. This can take a while, be patient....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Might try some break cleaner on the seal. Just a little bit should make the rubber shrink a little. Try this last as you dont want to ruin the seal but if your at the point where your about to replace them then I would give it a try.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

When I first got my SG, my butterflies were stuck too. (maybe not as bad as yours are though)
            I ended up using carb cleaner in the can and spraying the heck out of them and used a crescent wrench on the shaft (where the sync adjustment screws are) and worked them back and forth al lot until the rotated fully.
            Gentle pressure at first to get them moving a little then as things seemed to loosen up, back and forth, back and forth.

I tried breaking the rack up, but I didn't have an impact screwdriver, so I couldn't break the rack screws loose.
            Once one started to move and the other ones next to it didn't you could see the sync adjustment spring squish in the shaft holder there.
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

No Budge

No doubt I got to crack this rack The carbs are cleaning up nice but no movement also the enrichments won't move todays project. Thanks for the help
              82 XJ1100J
              81 Venturer

Comment

Unchartered waters for me

Ok first off the rack after a fight with channel locks and WD40 I got very hard movement I can get the screws out of the butterfly. Should I remove it and try to drive the shaft out?
                82 XJ1100J
                81 Venturer

Comment

I would try everything else to get thing moving first before trying to remove the shafts.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

5000 wiggles

Yup i got the first one going onward to the rest
                    82 XJ1100J
                    81 Venturer

Comment

Better count better next time. I bet it was more like 5007 wiggles!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Carefull. Make sure you check for any burrs on the sharp edges where the butterflies screw on to the shaft. I made the mistake of not checking it once and it damaged the hole in the body where the shaft runs through.
                        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                        X