Clip-on handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clip-on handlebars

Okay, I give up. How the hell do you fit the stock XS11 front master cylinder onto a set of clip-ons? The damnable thing is so long, and sits so close to the bar, that the tube needs to be a foot in length just to get the throttle handle on. Do any of y'all have experience fitting clip-ons on these bikes? How did you get around that issue?
    "What are you rebelling against?"

1980 XS1100 SG "Molly"
    The heaviest cafe racer around.

You are probably better off getting a more modern and smaller master cylinder. It was a tight fit on my modified front end with clip-ons...

2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I will look into doing a swap with my buddy--he's got a Virago sitting in his shed, and I'd like to see if that works out. Could you do me one more favour and let me know how long those bars are, from the edge of the fork tube to the tip of the handle?

1980 XS1100 SG "Molly"

Comment

No problem bro, the useable handle space is 7 15/16" long (black line). The distance from the upper fork tube to the end of the clip on is 8 7/8" (red line).

2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Yeah but bikerphil,
          you haven't told GRom4232 the whole story, that you're using an FJ set of forks with the standard FJ bars.
          Not really clip-ons are they?

Comment

Originally posted by GRom4232 View Post
            Okay, I give up. How the hell do you fit the stock XS11 front master cylinder onto a set of clip-ons? The damnable thing is so long, and sits so close to the bar, that the tube needs to be a foot in length just to get the throttle handle on. Do any of y'all have experience fitting clip-ons on these bikes? How did you get around that issue?
            Hi Georgie,
            us old fat men can't reach that far any more so, no experience with a m/c install.
            Back when I could reach, the front brake had a cable.
            OK, the twist grip sleeve can stick out past the bar end and still work so long as some of it is still supported.
            But not the leftside grip so the bars will not be symmetrical.
            What you can do is extend the bars with lengths of straight 'bar tube and internal joiner sleeves.
            Fix the extensions in place with low temperature brazing, file any brazing metal blobs down flush.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
              Yeah but bikerphil,
              you haven't told GRom4232 the whole story, that you're using an FJ set of forks with the standard FJ bars.
              Not really clip-ons are they?
              I did tell him it that was a modified front end. I do consider the FJ bars clip-on's with risers built into them. Regular straight clip-on's I can see being more of a problem interfering with the 'clocks'.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Thanks, gents! I was shooting for a simple, straight set of clip ons, but with the cylinder being the way it is, I decided to do some witchcraft with pipe elbows

What resulted was arguably the most questionable piece of engineering I have completed to date. Pictures to follow once the paint and thread-lock dries.

1980 XS1100 SG "Molly"

Comment

You might find some inspiration here...

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ight=reservoir

Comment

Working...
                  X