oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filter

i am having trouble getting oil filter housing off does the bolt go cw or ccw on 79 xs11s thanks
    Joe Bjordahl
    “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
    Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
    1979 XS1100S
    1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
    1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

The filter "bolt" turns ccw to remove it. Get yourself a good 6-point socket to prevent rounding off the head!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: oil filter

Originally posted by floridajoe
      i am having trouble getting oil filter housing off does the bolt go cw or ccw on 79 xs11s thanks
      It's a regular right hand thread. Looking at the filter from the front of the engine, position the wrench or ratchet handle so it is facing the left side of the bike (your right) and pull it. But... beware the mess that will follow as soon as the O ring seal is broken. I have found that some oil filter makers do not include a new O ring with the filter. Fram does include the O ring. The p/n is 6006. If the head of the filter bolt gets really messed up, there is one available on the aftermarket, though I don't know who the manufacturer is. The hex is also is a larger size. I believe the original is 13mm, and the replacement is 15mm. Make sure you do use a 6 point wrench or socket on the old one. One trick I have done to avoid the mess when changing the filter is to grind flat the cooling fin on the filter cup, directly behind the bolt, drill it to the proper size and tap it out to 1/8 pipe thread and install a drain valve. A plug could be used also, I just didn't want to get any oil on my hands if at all possible.
      Last edited by John; 03-13-2004, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: oil filter

I wish I could remember to do that!! You are right...it is a hell of a messy job otherwise.

Originally posted by John

((snip))One trick I have done to avoid the mess when changing the filter is to grind flat the cooling fin on the filter cup, directly behind the bolt, drill it to the proper size and tap it out to 1/8 pipe thread and install a drain valve. A plug could be used also, I just didn't want to get any oil on my hands if at all possible.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

hi guys
          I saw a bolt in the latest J C whitney catalog
          8.98 each
          http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
          78E main ride, since birth the "good"
          78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
          78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
          79F Parts
          80G Parts
          75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

You may end up thrashing the bolthead by the time you get it off, and you won't be the first person to do so. This comes from applying way too much torque when reinstalling the filter can. When you get it apart, take it to a welding shop and have them weld on a 19mm bolt and you will never have this problem again. I've done this on both of our 'Hs and it was a very cheap, very worthwhile modification.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Re: oil filter

There is one more thing you can try. The housing has tabs that prevent it from spinning, but it will move just a little. I would try a filter wrench around it to move it back and forth just to free-up that frictional component and maybe do that while wrenching on the bolt in the same directions.

Originally posted by floridajoe
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Originally posted by xswilly
                hi guys
                I saw a bolt in the latest J C whitney catalog
                8.98 each
                JC worthless will rape you on shipping every time. Also the last time I ordered from them (last time ever) they charged my card 5 times and I had to get with my bank to straighten it out.

Parts & More has them but those guys are notorously out of stock when you really need something. I usually tack one on to my parts orders so I have and extra or 2 on hand.

There used to be an aftermarket one with a 17mm head, to bad we can't get those anymore.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

One of the 1st tips I read (on the XS11.com Yahoo site) here was using the "Gator Grip" socket on the oil filter bolt.
                  It works.
                  Gator Grip is the one with the retractible pins inside that grab any imperfection on the fastener. It got mine off just fine and I've been using my JCW bolt ever since (bought some other stuff for my old Ford at the same time so shipping for the bolt was no biggie).
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

One of the 1st tips I read (on the XS11.com Yahoo site) here was using the "Gator Grip" socket on the oil filter bolt.
                    It works.
                    Gator Grip is the one with the retractible pins inside that grab any imperfection on the fastener. It got mine off just fine and I've been using my JCW bolt ever since (bought some other stuff for my old Ford at the same time so shipping for the bolt was no biggie).
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

parts

you can also try :

http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/

here in indianapolis. rob has just about anything you would need new or used. i got a new bolt and basket for my xj at a reasonable price. just email or call 'em with your request. he can ups anywhere.

Comment

thanks

thank you for all your help . i have never met a nicer group of people thank you again
                        Joe Bjordahl
                        “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
                        Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
                        1979 XS1100S
                        1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
                        1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

Working...
                        X