Upgrade on front master cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade on front master cylinder?

So I was wondering, if I can find a master cylinder from a late model sport bike (dual fronts) and the fittings and fluids all match up, would I be good to go in terms of installing it on my bike? Am I missing something key?
    1980 XS1100G - Coming together
    1979 XS1100 Midnight Special - Still in one rusted piece

Upgrade implies an improvement.

What are you trying to improve specifically?

If its feel, then stainless braided lines will improve feel better than changing MC.

If its looks - then get the one from MikesXS.net with the 16mm piston. Coupled with the braided stainless lines it feels just fine and stops good too.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Mostly it's out of curiosity. I have access to cheap parts from other motorocycles at a local motorcycle salvage yard.
      1980 XS1100G - Coming together
      1979 XS1100 Midnight Special - Still in one rusted piece

Comment

I have heard different things about those 16mm piston Front MCs. Anyone else have any luck with those? They originals are 11/16" but 16mm is 5/8", so 1/16' smaller. My front is completely shot and won't go with the look I want anyways.
        79 SF "Under Construction and in a million pieces"

Comment

I've got a 5/8th MC on my Special and it's worked fine with both the Special calipers, and Standard ones (during an enforced Frankenbike episode)
          It's only if you try to run two full length separate lines that you may have a problem as too much fluid is required feed both of them. If you have the original junction block on the lower triple clamp, no worries.
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Sorry, double posted
            Last edited by Eveready1100; 11-22-2012, 05:29 AM.
            79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
            Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
            *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
            *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by copeland3300 View Post
              So I was wondering, if I can find a master cylinder from a late model sport bike (dual fronts) and the fittings and fluids all match up, would I be good to go in terms of installing it on my bike? Am I missing something key?
              I've got an FJ m/c on both my XS's. No problems as far as i can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by copeland3300 View Post
                Mostly it's out of curiosity. I have access to cheap parts from other motorcycles at a local motorcycle salvage yard.
                Hi David,
                so look for stainless brake lines while you are there. And if you can find a different 11/16" or 5/8"(16mm) m/c that you like the look of, that's good too.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X