No spark all 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark all 4

I don't have any sparks on all 4 cylinders since I rebuilt the carburetor, changed the fuses box and a small clean-up ...

1: I have on my battery 12.5V and 8.5 when I start
    2: At the coil connector I Had Both 8.5V on wire (orange and red / white) each side
    3: The side stand switch is good
    4: I've tried different ignition box

Thanks!!!

btw xj1100 83 canadian
    83 XJ1100
    06 FZ1 naked abarth

Just for grins, try jumping off of a car battery with the car not running.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

8.5 volts is not enough. The system needs 10.5 IIRC for the TCI to work. Sounds like you have a battery issue.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Load test that battery. My guess is a collapsed plate, causing a bad cell.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Thanks!

I will try a new batterie tonight!
          83 XJ1100
          06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            8.5 volts is not enough. The system needs 10.5 IIRC for the TCI to work. Sounds like you have a battery issue.
            +1......voltage droppin' that much under load kills that battery for any farther testing......if known fully charged.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

i tried with an other battery . i have 10.5 volts @ the TCI before start. During ignition i still end up with 8.5 volts @ the TCI... I cleaned all my connections with contact cleaner and added contact jelly. Would a drop in voltage like this be caused by short circuite? If so is there any common places i should look at?
              83 XJ1100
              06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

It does sound like your losing voltage, and it could be any combination of places. However, you should have at least 12V before you hit the switch to start it. So the battery your using is low to before you use it.

A fellow local XSive was low on voltage to his coils, he chased the wiring all over the bike. He found he would clean a set of connections and pick up a 1/2 V, next set maybe another 1/4 V. On and on until he gained about 2V time he was done.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Too Little Voltage

A voltage drop is caused by too much resistance. Resistance builds heat and erodes connectors. These drops can be caused by poor contacts in switches, poor battery connections, and poor grounds. I am assuming that the engine spins over properly with the starter? If not, check the connections to it. Try jumping across the relay to see if the engine spins over differently than with the starter button.

Insure that you have a good battery. Then look at all battery connections at the battery, at the starter relay (near fuse panel), at the starter, and especially the chassis ground(s). This is a weak ground at best. See the post below.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...attery+grounds

MP
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by le_bucheron View Post
                    i tried with an other battery . i have 10.5 volts @ the TCI before start. During ignition i still end up with 8.5 volts @ the TCI... I cleaned all my connections with contact cleaner and added contact jelly. Would a drop in voltage like this be caused by short circuite? If so is there any common places i should look at?
                    .....Bettin' your only the 8.5V at the two red primary leads to each coil too when cranking.....not good. You got cruddy internal contacts at the ignition switch, weak grounding of two black wires holding down the regulator and weak connection at the main 30A fuse. With a known good batt.(12.5-12.8V) static sitting charge, starter load should NOT pull batt. below 10.5V(if all other known connections are good), which in this case they are not.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

-Did somes new grounds (batt to chassis, chassis to engine).
                      -Did new power wires (Batt to solenoid, solenoid to main, solenoid to starter)
                      -Clean-up the regulator ground.
                      -Unplug all plug behind the headlight except starter button
                      -Pull-out head, tail, signal fuses
                      -Tried 1x bike batt., 2x car batt. and 1x booster pack

Always the same thing but now I have 12v before cranking and 8.5v during

Do you know what is the minium connectors I need to have plugged to got some sparks?

Im not a 12volts master but I have the feeling that my problem is not a waste of energy but something which passes only 8.5V

Here my bikes! One for running and one for spare parts:

83 XJ1100
                      06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

sounds like it could be your starter motor
                        drawing the power, have u got a spare one to try?
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yeah I have a spare starter! I will try.

If my Clutch won't disengage does it cause this trouble?
                          Something like that:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...utch+disengage

I tried my Grand cherokee battery and another boost cable set = same ****...
                          83 XJ1100
                          06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                            sounds like it could be your starter motor
                            drawing the power, have u got a spare one to try?
                            No It wasn't the starter... Same thing with my spare starter...
                            83 XJ1100
                            06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

You tried another battery. Was it an old charged bike battery? Was it a known good battery? Did you try jumping off of a car (with the engine off)? Batteries can show a "skin charge" but have no real capacity to start the bike.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X