Electrical Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Harness

So I was looking over my wiring harness, and I felt like some of the connections were iffy as to their reliability.

Keep in mind, this is for an XS that I'm rebuilding, so it's not as though everything is working well and I'm just tinkering for the sake of it.

Having said all that, what connectors and/or wiring would you all recommend? I did some searches, but I wasn't able to locate a kit that had a multitude of different plugs. Given that not everything is 2, 4 or 6 pin connectors, having a bunch of different ones would be useful as I have to replace them.

Thanks!
    1980 XS1100G - Coming together
    1979 XS1100 Midnight Special - Still in one rusted piece

Look up Oregon Motorcycle Parts "Geezer" aka... Tony sells most if not all the connectors for these bikes. I would think you could discuss it with him and get a package setup.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

If you're looking for a 'kit' that covers everything you need, forget it. There are kits out there, but few that will have everything you need (and extras you won't) and they're expensive to boot.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html
      These are the ones DGXSER is talking about, and are basically the same as OEM. If price is a consideration, probably your best choice.

http://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-conn...r=12&Series=DT
      If you're willing to spend more, these are a definite upgrade. Fully sealed and available in different amp ratings, these are a bit bulkier but easier to work with after installation. My personal choice for the prone-to-failure alternator connections on the XS when they need replacing...

Keep in mind that any quality connector will need a dedicated crimper designed for that termination. The Deutsch crimper is horribly expensive, but low-cost knock-offs are available on eBay (about $35 last time I checked). You also won't find all the right 'combinations' in plugs, so you may have to use some with 'left over' wire connections or multiple plugs. There's a few other brands out there (Amp/Tyco is one) but those can be harder to find.
      Last edited by crazy steve; 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have great experience with vintageconnections.com. With regard to replacing the connectors and you are not going to go with Molex connectors, I would definitely recommend GM weatherpak connectors. If you are replacing your bullet connectors with bullets, make sure you get the open-barrel crimpers. You can also swap everything out with weather resistant spade connectors from any auto store. You will not find those bullet connectors in any store!!!
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hmmm,

Well you all have given me a good bit to think about.

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

So are the molex ones literally what's used in computers?

I like the weatherpak connectors a lot. I might go with those as needed.

Comment

^ Yes, that is one application for them. Molex connectors are used worldwide for thousands of applications. I have them on one of my Suzuki GS's. The weatherpak connectors are not cheap by any means, but, absolutely worth it in my opinion.
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
              X