Will NGK BKR6EIX-11 fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will NGK BKR6EIX-11 fit?

So I have some new NGK BKR5EIX-11 spark plugs that were intended for a different vehicle, but the vehicle is no longer. Will they fit the XS? Here's the info I was able to find on the XS plug compared to this plug.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...tnumberkey.pdf
    http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/te...bols_plugs.pdf

BKR6EIX-11 (the plugs I have)

B: 14mm thread
    K: Hex Size 5/8”, Projected Tip (ISO)
    R: Resistor Type
    6: Heat Range
    E: Thread Reach - 19 mm (3/4”)
    IX: High Performance Iridium (0.6mmØ)
    -11: Gap - 1.1 mm (.044")

BPR6EIX-8 (the plugs for the XS11)

B: 14mm thread
    P: Projected Insulator Type
    R: Resistor Type
    6: Heat Range
    E: Thread Reach - 19 mm (3/4”)
    IX: High Performance Iridium (0.6mmØ)
    -8: Gap - 0.8 mm (.032")

So the gap is different, but that is somewhat easy to fix. The other thing is K (Hex Size 5/8”, Projected Tip (ISO)) vs P (Projected Insulator Type). Any thoughts on that one? Will it work or should I chuck them in the trash?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post

So the gap is different, but that is somewhat easy to fix. The other thing is K (Hex Size 5/8”, Projected Tip (ISO)) vs P (Projected Insulator Type). Any thoughts on that one? Will it work or should I chuck them in the trash?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    You're not supposed to adjust the gap on the Iridium plugs, they come pre-gaped. BPR6EIX is the recommended Iridium plug through NGK. Both the recommended plug and the ones you have are projected tip, Im just not sure the exact difference. Just search Iridium plug and you will get a lot of info.

Here's some info from NGK that you might find interesting, just search for projected.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/te...plications.pdf
    Last edited by WMarshy; 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The best I can tell, the only difference is the hex size. Both are 14mm thread though...

BK= 14mm / 5/8” (16.0mm) ISO Type

B= 14mm / 13/16” (20.8mm)
      Last edited by WMarshy; 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks, I did a little more searching...a picture > 1000 words.

So it looks like the bottom end of the plug is essentially the same. The top end is different - hex, porcelain diameter, overall length. One thing that hit me is that the metal post on the top of the plug doesn't screw off like the XS11 requires. I would have to change my boots for that. Is it possible to swap the boots?

All that said, they are the wrong gap, and I see now that their cartoon clearly shows that I'm not suppose to adjust the gap. (I am also not supposed to use them in my airplane...but that's okay because I don't have one of those!)

I guess I'll see if I can find someone who can use them and either sell them or give them away, depending on who it is. If I still have them in the spring and am itching to play with spark plugs, maybe I'll see if I can make them work and see what happens with a huge gap.

Thanks for the help and the link. I'm always looking to learn, so I'll probably be reading that tomorrow morning while I'm having breakfast!

Comment

So it looks like the bottom end of the plug is essentially the same. The top end is different - hex, porcelain diameter, overall length. One thing that hit me is that the metal post on the top of the plug doesn't screw off like the XS11 requires. I would have to change my boots for that. Is it possible to swap the boots?

All that said, they are the wrong gap, and I see now that their cartoon clearly shows that I'm not suppose to adjust the gap. (I am also not supposed to use them in my airplane...but that's okay because I don't have one of those!)

I guess I'll see if I can find someone who can use them and either sell them or give them away, depending on who it is. If I still have them in the spring and am itching to play with spark plugs, maybe I'll see if I can make them work and see what happens with a huge gap.

Thanks for the help and the link. I'm always looking to learn, so I'll probably be reading that tomorrow morning while I'm having breakfast!
          I would put them in, the gap may have a small effect on engine power but I doubt you will notice anything. Typically a smaller gap means more wear on the electrode and poorer ignition of the fuel charge because of the smaller arc but the difference isn't anything that is going to keep the bike from running.

You can change out your spark plug boots if you like. Ya never know, maybe the PO changed them already. They just screw onto the end of the ignition wires. You might want to go to your local motorcycle shop and see if they have any on the shelf. You should be able to find new ones with the same resistance that accept the post. Good luck and let use know how you make out.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

Comment

Possible sure, but you would need to find the right boots to make it work.

Also, maybe my eyes are not what they used to be, but looking at those pictures, the threaded area of the two plugs appear to be different diameters.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

The Right Ones

I would suggest getting the correct plug. It does not matter what the plug "looks" like. It must be of the correct heat range, etc. Much better idea than changing the boots to match the wrong part.

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

So I have some new NGK BKR5EIX-11 spark plugs that were intended for a different vehicle, but the vehicle is no longer. Will they fit the XS? Thanks,
                Kevin
                Why don't you try to exchange them for the correct ones for your bike. Auto parts stores usually keep your purchase information on computers so a receipt isn't necessary, JAT. I would only use the correct ones for your bike, JMHO
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks all. According to the part numbers, the thread should be the same. The differences seem to be the gap and the insulator length, diameter, and electrical connector. Unfortunately it has been too long since purchase, so I can't exchange the plugs. It looks like the price of new boots is going to be on the same order of magnitude as the plugs themselves, so I'll probably not end up using the plugs, unless I feel compelled to intentionally switch to the bulbous-connector plugs entirely...which might have a small amount of benefit because the bulb-top plugs seem to be more common. But my best bet is to find someone with a Toyota or any of the other models they fit, and get some plugs with the right top. Thanks again. ...Kevin

Comment

Working...
                  X