tank swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tank swap

i am looking to swap out my special tank with either a standard or aftermarket. is it worth the hasssle for the fuel capacity?
    81 MNS

PLEASE don't do that to a MNS!

Whether or not it's worth it is a matter of opinion. Remember that the fuel sender for Specials is not a gauge, but just a thermistor, and is on the opposite side, so you'd either have to swap the fuel senders, or swap the dash gauges. Swapping the senders won't result in the same accuracy as you are used to. Also, the front edge of the seat will not mesh nicely with the Standard tank, so you'll either have to re-do the MNS-specific seat or deal with the funny-looking spot where the seat and tank meet.

You'll also have to use the Standard petcocks, and remove the octy (assuming yours is still there). Not a huge deal though, as many have decided to remove it long ago anyway - Just not my preference, especially on a MNS.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Whilst I agree with Bug's attitude towards the MNS originality it ain't like its an irreversable mod, I look at it more like fitting a fairing for winter or bags for touring trips. Go for it.

I have a European 5K7 Sport that I have the correct Special style tank for but also have a big European 2H9 tank for touring with, there can be stretches of German autobahn without fuel stops for 100 miles, if you miss the last fuel stop you run out, illegal on German autobahns

The big tank doesn't fit as good with the Special/Sport seat true, simply bolt the seat down half an inch further back without any problems.

The touring season is finished over here for 5 months for me so I'll be fitting the smaller more stylish tank again, and removing my pannier (bags) racks.

Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

its not a permanant mod. jusr want more capacity for long trips. as for the octy its there but soon to be gone. im getting rid of it and putting in inline filters
        81 MNS

Comment

Originally posted by McShafty View Post
          i am looking to swap out my special tank with either a standard or aftermarket. is it worth the hassle for the fuel capacity?
          Hi Steve,
          long way to the next gas pump in Melfort, eh?
          You bet your arse it's worth it!
          Standard tank drops right on.
          Carefully store the stock tank to maintain authenticity on resale.
          You can swap the lock into the Standard's gas cap if you don't want to use two keys.
          The Standard tank's fuel sensor won't work the red light.
          Swap in the MNS thermistor fuel sender, it's the same hole but on t'other side of the tank tunnel.
          So put it in backwards (wires pointing forward & it may need it's wires lengthened) or it'll be upside down and won't give adequate warning.
          You may have to fight with the seat to get it on with a Standard tank but give forcing it a try before trimming 1/2" off the seat pan nose or the MNS purists will be on your case again.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

thanks for the heads up. yeah its a long ride to the next pump from here. i usually carry a small jerry can in a back pack with me just incase lol.

i was looking at a standard tank or one of these alloy tanks

http://www.roccitycafe.com/store.php
            81 MNS

Comment

Originally posted by McShafty View Post
              - - - i was looking at a standard tank or one of these alloy tanks
              http://www.roccitycafe.com/store.php
              Hi Steve,
              very nice and all hand crafted too. But the price! Mr Cheap is clutching his billfold and whimpering.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yep, you could buy a big Euro 2H9 (Venturer?) tank and ANOTHER XS1100 for the price of one of those ali tanks!!!

Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                X