Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob, doesn't really know where to start....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob, doesn't really know where to start....

Hello all, I know you have new people here all the time. I am new to the xs1100, and just picked one up, 1979 xs1100F, appears to be in pretty rough shape. No rear master cylinder, electric looks suspect. Carbs didnt appear complete, one of the float bowl posts is broken (appears may be usable as holds pin in place) and the post is missing. I dont know if the engine has compression, no kill switch. I took the carbs apart and started them in the ultrasonic cleaner, appears I may just be missing a few screws.

Where do I start? Any and all suggestions are helpful. I will be running pods as there is no airbox, and the side covers are gone. I want to keep the shocks on and would like to use this as a road bike.

I picked up for $300.00 so no complaints, just dont really know where to start, any and all input is great.

Thanks.
    79 XS1100F

Welcome to the site and to madness of XS11 ownership.

Where to start, well, start at the front and work your way to the back...or vice versa. Really though, look at THIS link. It is in the FAQ section of the site.

A few of the most common areas to need attention would include;

The factory fuse box, most folks upgrade to the new fuses. There is a tech tip on changing it out and the site admin Topcat (TC) orders the upgrade box in bulk and resells individually to members. Great deal and a nice product.

Second gear or first depending on the bike tends to get worn and skip. This is a tell tale sign that you will need to repair the gear. There is a tech tip on this also, called the dremmel repair.

the other main area to look at is ALL of the electrical connectors. clean them up, use some electronics cleaner like De-Oxit or similar. Especially look at the large connector behind the plate the fuse box is mounted to. Has three large white wires. This is the main alternator connection and most likely to melt and cause alot of problems. Keep it clean and you should not have nay issues with it.

Hope that gives you a starting point.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

For sure, thank you, I will start at the front and work my way back. The bike has been made to look like a rat bike, large rear fender, solo seat, and the electric has been chopped to hell. The front end dual disk appears to work, but the throttle cable is mangled, this should be a fun project. Great advice on picking an end to start with, I will look into the electrical box, I think I will just have to start with all new electric. Thanks for the reply. I would post a pic of the bike on here, but im not sure how, I will read through the forum and figure it out.
      Thanks!
      79 XS1100F

Comment

I'd check the motor over first, to make sure you have something that will run. Run a compression test if it spins easily, and if you get decent results there then move on to the 'other' stuff. I will say that spending the time up front to check everything can save a lot of time troubleshooting later...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thats great advice, ill scope through the forum on directions to run a compression test. I figured carbs and compression would be the best place to start, then work on electric. The motor at first appearance looks okay, the guy i bought it from said it had spark, but i dont really know what he meant by that.
          79 XS1100F

Comment

Welcome!

I agree with Steve, start with a compression and spark check. If you don't own a compression tool then your local auto parts store should have one they loan out with a small refundable deposit.

Take all the spark plugs out when testing compression and wide open throttle (carbs off is good). If your missing your kill switch you might not be able to turn over the engine with your start button. A quick search will turn up a method on jumping the starter if necessary or if you have the wires for the switch hanging if they need to be closed or open circuit for run.

If your start button turns over the engine then you can check for spark by leaving the plug in the caps and grounding the electrode end to the engine valve cover or head. Just make sure you don't become the ground.

Drop back in with your compression number or any other questions you have. Save yourself some time and use the search tool on the site, someone here has already made every mistake for you, no reason to repeat it.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

As for the float post repair, there are several ways to repair that.Just do a search and you should come up with a couple good threads devoted to this.
              Pic must be post using a photo hosting site like photobucket.Just upload pics to photobucket , then just copy the [IMG] link and paste it in a post.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Thanks Tarzan and Wmarshy, I will go pick up a compression testing tool and post my numbers and start there, great starting point! I will take some good pictures today too and post through photobucket. I really want to thank you all for the replys!
                79 XS1100F

Comment

If you want to see a similar process, go HERE. It is the tale in photographic documentary of my last project bike that is now my only bike. There are many similar tales on here.

As you can see looking through that project, I wanted to focus on the engine, but waiting is not one of my best skills. I to started with the carbs, but while waiting for kits and parts to arrive, I went ahead and worked on other things.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Ill check it out, thanks dgxser.
                    79 XS1100F

Comment

Don't be discouraged.....

You can do anything if you put your mind to it.... Then, if you have any mind left, you can ride it!

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Compression and spark

Sweet project there Davinci!

Okay........I did a compression check, and a spark check, #1-no spark, 130 psi; #2-blue spark, 120 psi; #3-blue spark, 125 psi; #4-yellow spark, 120 psi. This was done on a very cold engine. When I went around the first time around, I got 149 psi on the #1; and I got 110 on the #2; the numbers were consistent with three and four.

It has become obvious that the spark plug wires need replaced as the #1 plug just slides on and off freely. The headlight comes on with the key turned on, and it appears the key controls all power without the kill switch. The forward controls are sweet as they are bolts.

Tonight I will create a photobucket account and drop in some pics I took today.
                        79 XS1100F

Comment

http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
                          79 XS1100F

Comment

Over on the right hand side of your pic is the different codes. You need to copy the [img] code and post that. then it will show like this.

2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Okay, I got it now, thanks!

79 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X