New bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike

Here's pics of the new ride. She can use a bath and I'll spend the winter cleaning and going over all the maintenance check ups to get her ready for spring. Looks like almost all original except for the grips. She's so heavy she cracked the foundation in my garage...

1980 xs1100G - Sold
    1981 Venturer - Stock

new bike

Wow that thing is in great shape,looks to have it all.

Comment

Clean

First one I've seen in while where the PO actually took care of it and didn't leave it outside 365 days. Really almost no rust. What little there is will clean up pretty easy. Even has the tool set, original manual/with appendixes, and looks like most of his repair/maint. receipts. Pretty much turn key ready.
      1980 xs1100G - Sold
      1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Looks good, I can't say enough about my 81H and how reliable it's been.
        Have fun with it.
        81 H

Comment

The "Lucky" Duck

Nice Score!!!
          The only thing I can see wrong with it is, it's in your garage and not mine.

On a more serious note, how are the passenger floor boards attached?
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
            Nice Score!!!
            The only thing I can see wrong with it is, it's in your garage and not mine.

On a more serious note, how are the passenger floor boards attached?
            Think the PO did a good job with them. Check it out. Didn't even ruin the piece that attaches to the original foot pegs, so can take it apart and pop on he pegs anytime.

1980 xs1100G - Sold
            1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Thanxs for the pic, I have to relocate my passenger pegs 'cause my wifes legs won't reach, too well, around the hard bags.

It's nice that the PO kept the stock value intact on your Venturer.

Comment

Oil leak

So while going through my cleanup check list I decided to give the old girl an oil change. I noticed when I first got her there was a small oil leak and wanted to address that and other some other minor maintenance issues before the cleanup/detail work.
                The PO had given me quite a bit of service receipts and all of the paperwork for the bike, including manuals and such. I did notice an oil change receipt that he had gotten at a Yami dealer.
                So I was a little surprised to find that the leak was caused by there being no oil filter cover o-ring installed. Just kind of shocked a dealer wouldn't put an o ring on the filter cover. No crush washer either.
                Makes me want to look at the receipts and see what else may have been goofed.
                1980 xs1100G - Sold
                1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Don't forget, although the dealer shops have an Aura of respect around them, the guy doing the oil changes, etc is typically the same kid washing the showroom floor. Its the same with car dealerships too. It's one of those "Only as strong as the weakest link" sort of things. These are simple bikes, I'm sure even the biggest goofs are easily repaired in most cases. Good Luck !

-Mark
                  XS11.Com resident Black Sheep

Comment

Jumped to conclusions...

So I rushed to judgment on the oil leak, since I found the o-ring in the drain pan. However, this doesn't help my predicament as now I am still problem solving the leak.
                    Need some help here. The leak is definitely on the left front side of the bike. I assumed it was the cover before I began investigating, being that the oil was covering the cover and near where the cooler lines attach.
                    This is my first eleven with an oil cooler. Do the lines need any type of seal/gasket? I detached the left side line from the bike to clean up the area and didn't notice any damage or gasket.
                    I'm assuming I can remove the cooler, lines, and the piece that sits between the case and filter cover, in order to solve by process of elimination. But, I'd rather keep the cooler on if I can.
                    Anyone out there with an 81H or oil cooler experience that can assist would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
                    Duck
                    1980 xs1100G - Sold
                    1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

O-rings...

...are what seals the OC lines, at the adapter plate and the cooler itself, as shown here in the following link:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=oil+cooler

And the schematic, parts 11 & 15 are the o-rings and 16 is the sleeve

HTH

Comment

Oh rings

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                        ...are what seals the OC lines, at the adapter plate and the cooler itself, as shown here in the following link:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=oil+cooler

And the schematic, parts 11 & 15 are the o-rings and 16 is the sleeve

HTH
                        Thanks man. Good starting point.
                        1980 xs1100G - Sold
                        1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Cooler rings

Looks like the o rings in the cooler lines (#11) are pretty flattened. Going to grab some today and see if that was the culprit. If thats the case, I owe you a beer bud.
                          Also grabbed an original replacement cooler line on eBay for $10 a couple weeks ago. Couldn't pass up on the part since the price was super cheap.
                          1980 xs1100G - Sold
                          1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

great find,I want that to be my next bike,hard to find in good shape though.
                            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Fixed

Oil leak is gone, replacing the o rings in the cooler lines did the trick. Here she is now. Took the fairing off to get better access to diagnosing the oil leak and tossed some blinkers and a spare bucket on to get a quick ride in while the weather is descent.

So far, cleaned up the pipes, oil change, cleaned up some of the wiring connections, cleaned up the bags, trunk, and mounting hardware.

Can probably go through the front and rear calipers over the winter. Paint seems pretty good, but the tank is not perfect. Have a local painter quote me at $400-450 for the tank and side covers, with a color change from blue/silver to black/silver. But since the side covers look good, I may have him just redo the tank in the original colors.

Side emblems look good, took them off to clean. Have some white residue on them, but otherwise nice shape. Have a replacement set of tank badges that will toss on once the tank is done.

1980 xs1100G - Sold
                              1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Working...
                              X