No announcement yet.

alternator output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i ride with all my gear on every ride. armored jacket and pants. wearing my electric heating vest when it's really cold is just another layer of safety for me. and i bought the extra large vest so it also covers my man parts while riding 'cause they really" harden up" when i ride my xs

Comment

I just chopped the sleeves from an old sheepskin coat and trimmed the length a bit and it's now a sheepskin waistcoat which is really warm... until it rains. It needs covering with a waterproof jacket in the wet but it is very warm. The only downside, or upside, depending on how you look at it, is it looks a bit barbaric... sort Viking raider-ish or a bit like the daft basddie in Mad Max 1.

I don't mind cold too much. It's incessant drizzle/rain and water that I hate
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Alternator Output

The upgraded regulator/rectifier available from Tony at Oregon Motorcycle Parts may be a good idea to have installed when using "other" electrical equipment.

MP
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
          I just chopped the sleeves from an old sheepskin coat and trimmed the length a bit and it's now a sheepskin waistcoat which is really warm... until it rains. It needs covering with a waterproof jacket in the wet but it is very warm. The only downside, or upside, depending on how you look at it, is it looks a bit barbaric... sort Viking raider-ish or a bit like the daft basddie in Mad Max 1.

I don't mind cold too much. It's incessant drizzle/rain and water that I hate
          Hi James,
          This post is crying out for a picture Would love to see you looking like a daft basddie
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

No fairing, no wind screen, no electric heated anything. And I still rode my bike to school, 15 miles mostly on the interstate on a day when it was 12F when I headed out the door.

Of course, I was talking funny for about two hours afterwards because my balls were still up in my throat! I never thought they could retract that far...
            -- Clint
            1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

see. if you had an electric vest your balls would have stayed put

Comment

Only if it had a heated crotch strap! Without any fairing at all, on a COLD day, that air comes right over the gas tank and tries to go down between the tank and seat. Not a problem when the air is above freezing, but single digits SUCK!

On the bright side, I got to give a LOT of hell to all the "kids" at the university that were half my age and driving 1/4 as far when they chickened out and took the car!
                -- Clint
                1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                  Yes, I found that being sure of my manliness more than compensated for the pneumonia I got, riding in foggy, damp conditions....

Just kidding. I didn't get pneumonia. But, I'm wondering.... are heated grips/vests/boots cheating? I feel a poll coming on...... over to you, MAN

When I got back in the wind after 35 years, it was wet cold and windy. My hands cramped up like nothing I've known, so I'd say yes, cheating. cramping tough, warm bad.

In fact, boots themselves are probably cheating.
                  Last edited by puskrat; 04-27-2016, 01:45 PM.
                  "Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.

Comment

I did the heated grips thing on mine. The grips, behind a fairing, under Hippo Hands, really makes my ride comfy at 85mph when temps are in the 'teens. My thermal overpants (not heated) definitely help too. I don't think I would have done the heated grips before switching to all LEDs (including headlight) first though.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X