Fork seal options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seal options?

Hey all, did a search for fork seals for a '79 SF. Couldn't find much. I was wondering if any Special Owners prefer a particular brand of fork seals. I got a set from Bike Master that was supposedly for the special and found it to be slightly too large and just couldn't get them to seat. Tore up both of them.
    79 SF "Under Construction and in a million pieces"

Stay far away from pyramid parts... Nothing good comes from that company.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
    1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
    1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

Originally posted by rs2289 View Post
      Hey all, did a search for fork seals for a '79 SF. Couldn't find much. I was wondering if any Special Owners prefer a particular brand of fork seals. I got a set from Bike Master that was supposedly for the special and found it to be slightly too large and just couldn't get them to seat. Tore up both of them.
      They probably sent you seals for a Standard which are 1MM larger OD. I would try to use OEM Yamaha seals as a first choice, but I have used the K&L's that Georgefix sells with no problem, they are a much cheaper price. Correct seal dimensions for your 79 Special is 37X48X10.5
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I think I have a set of seals for a special that I would be willing to trade. If you are interested, send me a p-mail.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Yep, Just looked at the package. 1mm larger OD. Having the dimensions will help getting the new seals. I guess I should have paid more attention to it when I got the package.

Comment

Just checked on BikeMasters web site and found the right part number. Old Bike Barn apparently had it listed under the wrong part number. They list the 79 Special under 42-9014, but BikeMaster has it listed for 42-9046. Ugh.... Will let you guys know if OBB corrects the problem.

Comment

Old Bike Barn came through with some great customer service! They sent me the new correct seals yesterday. I got them from UPS today. That is definitely some good customer service!

Comment

Good to know they took great care of you.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                X