No announcement yet.

Cylinder 1 getting hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So should I put small filters on those hoses? I assume that these hoses being open will not adversly effect the engines internal vacum?
    79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
    80 XS650 Special
    85 KAW 454 LTD
    Dirty Dan

Comment

I would thank that would be better than plugging them off, yes.

Originally posted by DEmily
      So should I put small filters on those hoses? I assume that these hoses being open will not adversly effect the engines internal vacum?
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

So what is the exact purpose of these hoses?
        79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
        80 XS650 Special
        85 KAW 454 LTD
        Dirty Dan

Comment

They equalize the air pressure between the float bowels and the air intake manifold. That is why on the older carbs they went to the air filter box which has a maniflod running back to the carbs. Yamaha calls it the "oil separator" (2h7-14434-01-00) . One auto. carbs the tube is called the balance tube. The inkake is a vacum and the float bowels would be at atmospheric pres. thus forcing fuel through the carbs
          Ken
          '79 xs1100f
          '79 xs1100sf

Comment

I am beginning to understand the complex nature of these things. I have built many hypo auto engine in my time, but this is certainly a new experience.
            79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
            80 XS650 Special
            85 KAW 454 LTD
            Dirty Dan

Comment

XSives call the carb experience carb hell. However, once the carbs are understood, they really make sense. The fuel injection conversion is drawing my attention these days though.

Ben
              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Thanks everyone for your assitance. I unplugged the hoses that use to run to the airbox and the old girl took off like a rocket. Great exceleration, sounds really awesome with the new exhaust.
                I am still have some problem with number 1 and 2 running rich. I pulled the carbs and the main jets in those carbs are marked as 137. I remember buying the carb kits and endded up getting them from two sources. The ones in 1 and 2 are from a K&L kit where as the others are from Yamaha (137.5) Is it possible these main jets are larger than the original ones?
                79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                80 XS650 Special
                85 KAW 454 LTD
                Dirty Dan

Comment

The ones in 1 and 2 are from a K&L kit where as the others are from Yamaha (137.5)

The K & L kit mains are to big even though they are marked 137. That is why 1 and 2 are running rich.
                  Gary
                  79sf
                  78e

Comment

Working...
                  X