No announcement yet.

Strange miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also make sure that the pilot jet and the circuit to the pilot screw is clear. There are three tiny holes near the throttle plate that need to be clear also. The pilot screw compensates those holes for pilot circuit adjestment.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I checked my voltage to the ballast resistor, and had 11.8 volts. At the battery, i had 12.2, so a little drop is all. I warmed the engine, and synched the carbs, and then went to adjust air fuel mix. 2,3,and 4 adjusted fine, however nuber one mixture screw made no noticable difference. The engine ran about the same with the mixture screw turned all the way in, or out at 4 1/2 to 5 turns. Still sounds like a fuel problem to me. Have to find a pice of the fuel distribution, so i know what i am looking for when i pull them again.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

With no adjustment making a difference on the idle adjustment screw it leads me back to the idea to check if the hole the bottom of it syncs in is blocked by the tip being broken off in the hole. Pull the carb off and verify the hole is clear and the tip didn't break off in it.

From what I know the needle backs out of the area the hole is in to allow more fuel at lower rpm. If the fuel circuit is blocked then that could be the root of your issue.
        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
          I checked my voltage to the ballast resistor, and had 11.8 volts. At the battery, i had 12.2, so a little drop is all. I warmed the engine, and synched the carbs, and then went to adjust air fuel mix. 2,3,and 4 adjusted fine, however nuber one mixture screw made no noticable difference. The engine ran about the same with the mixture screw turned all the way in, or out at 4 1/2 to 5 turns. Still sounds like a fuel problem to me. Have to find a pice of the fuel distribution, so i know what i am looking for when i pull them again.
          Your initial voltages are a bit low as you say. Batt. is marginal at best. #4 idle mix screw sounds like it may be sucking air past the teeny O-ring. Did you replace all four of those O-rings? Aside from the suspect fuel issue, did you check votages at the brown wire atop the fuse panel and at the Voltage regulator with key on? Aside from the batt. that's headed south shortly, that voltage drop difference at the b. resistor is suspect and would cause me to check points at all primary ignition circuits. When my 7yr.old Interstate batt. hit the 12.2V last spring, issues started arising, masking themselves as fuel/carb issues.......chased that tail and never caught it. Put new Interstate batt. aboard and had a running improvement down in the lower rpms.....still not quite right though. Few years back, had put on another set of stock coils from a bunch of Venturer stuff I had gotten to see if they performed okay once heated up. They did, so left them on and apparently after a few years they decided to gradually give up, cause I put the original coils back on and bike runs normal again. Just have to go back and re-set and re-sync carbs again to a good spark when I'm ridin' it more. Keepin' my eye out for a set of Honda VF coils for a replacement set. Honda coils in a variety of applications have a historical reputation of not ever being an issue no matter the age or usage.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Put my tank on, and took it for a short ride. It runs better than it did before the problem. The problem is still there, but it is not nearly as bad. It is a lot smoother at idle, and at speed. Planning on taking it out tomorrow for a longer ride, maybe 150 miles or so.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Went for a ride yesterday, and the bike ran like a charm. Only got to ride 80 miles, but it pulled harder, and ran smoother than before. Got 40 MPG out of it in the hills. Now i am going to go back through some checks, and see if anything changed.
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                I checked my voltage to the ballast resistor, and had 11.8 volts. At the battery, i had 12.2, so a little drop is all...
                .4 of a volt drop is actually fairly big, what I would consider the upper limit for proper operation. As moto says, the battery is likely marginal but there is room for improvement in your connections....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...