Axle spacer for 80G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle spacer for 80G

All three of my running xs11's are standards. I have an H-model that "sucks in" axle bolts too far and this is evident with the location of the side hole on the right side after installation. I think I found my problem, assuming the spacer thicknesses of the spacers between the E-models and the H-models should be the same. The spacer is probably wrong with the H-Model. I measured the following:

E-model thickness = 0.495 inches
    H-model thickness = 0.472 inches

The diameter of the spacer on the H-model is also a bit smaller.
    I suppose I could try to find a washer to fix the thickness...

Anyone have an extra axle spacer? (shamelessly begging and pleading)
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

I don't know...the difference does not really account for the difference that the axle sucks in on the H-model. Can someone please take a picture of their H-model at the right-side axle area that shows the hole-to-swingarm area?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'm not sure what problem you think you have....

The purpose of that spacer is to separate the cast aluminum caliper bracket and the steel 'torque' caliper bracket. While the .495" measurement is correct for proper alignment of them, being off .020" shouldn't be critical.

As to 'how far' the axle goes into the swingarm on the brake side, there really isn't any 'correct' distance. The swingarm isn't that much of a precision piece and you will see variations between bikes. You might have a somewhat 'sprung' swingarm (not at all uncommon), that can be corrected with proper application of a BFH....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You might be correct Steve. I am still scratching my head. It looks like there is a slight gap between the spacer and the caliper bracket and I know the axle nut was torqued carefully. I think the PO perhaps lost a spacer and found one that sort of fit.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

You shouldn't have any gap; the axle is designed to go through the swingarm pinch sleeve and draw all the brackets/bearing spacers together tight. You really shouldn't tighten the pinch bolt until the axle is fully torqued...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
            All three of my running xs11's are standards. I have an H-model that "sucks in" axle bolts too far and this is evident with the location of the side hole on the right side after installation. I think I found my problem, assuming the spacer thicknesses of the spacers between the E-models and the H-models should be the same. The spacer is probably wrong with the H-Model. I measured the following:

E-model thickness = 0.495 inches
            H-model thickness = 0.472 inches

The diameter of the spacer on the H-model is also a bit smaller.
            I suppose I could try to find a washer to fix the thickness...

Anyone have an extra axle spacer? (shamelessly begging and pleading)
            Well, that explains your statement in the other thread on axle shaft tightening sequence having to snug the pinch bolts prior to torquing the axle nut. Definitely should NOT have to do that. Just have to have the correct spacer that is 'stepped' so inward part pulls tight up against the bearing inner race so it is kept stationary.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

OK. I will do it arrording to prescribed procedures and not worry about that hole in the axle being partially sucked into the works.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

This pic...

Originally posted by skids View Post
                I don't know...the difference does not really account for the difference that the axle sucks in on the H-model. Can someone please take a picture of their H-model at the right-side axle area that shows the hole-to-swingarm area?
                ...is from my '80G

If ya need any more LMK

HTH

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

The above photo is 100% correct setup for all standard models, all years.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the picture. I feel better now. I can tell you that the other two of my standards (78s) look different even with the normal process. I guess Steve is right about the swingarms...
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
                    X