Free Use of Morgan Carbtune/Colourtune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Use of Morgan Carbtune/Colourtune

I guess I should have posted this long ago. I bought the Carbtune and colourtune (British spelling) last year and used it on a couple of my bikes. I'm willing to loan these tools out to fellow forum members free of charge as long as you pay shipping both ways. If there is a high-demand for the use of them, I will have to set a loan period of two weeks or so, so everyone has ample opportunity to use them. Let me know.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

While the thought is great and it is a nice gesture, there are a few issues. While most members are honest and would make good anything that goes wrong, what about those who can't afford to replace stuff or who are just here long enough for a quick fix. On any given day there are more lurkers here than members. What stops one from joining in, borrowing and leaving.
    One is how do you make sure they come back to you? Some members come and go very quickly and if all they need is to get the bike running good for a sale what will make them return over a $100 bucks worth of tools to you. What if one of the small adaptors is lost while lent out, who covers that?
    The colortune will discolor with use and can be damaged by too much heat. That overheated colortune is worth nothing to you when returned. How do you plan on covering that cost.
    Just those type of questions would keep me from lending far and wide. I let others in the area use mine when at my place but they stay here and are used with my supervision and what help I can provide.
    Like I say a really nice offer but I would think long and hard before I leant a tool out to any member who did not have a long standing rep on the site. Heck I have stuff leant out to guys (members) within 5 miles of my house that I am having issues getting back. Just my 2 cents worth.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I too sort of agree with Ras. I sent some parts to someone with mills and cnc equipment at their disposal and they were going to copy the parts for the people here. Person had been around for some time when the subject came up and offered to recreate the part. I offered up a spare to be copied and then returned to me and I was going to by a copied part as well. I sent the part to him and now he hasn't been on here for almost 1.5 years.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I am not trying to say all will screw you just the what if scenario as Nate has pointed out. Just be careful who you lend/send it too.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN THE USE OF MY TOOLS: YOU BREAK IT, AND I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol, jk. Seriously though, if you think you are not capable of taking care of my tools, do not even bother asking me. I paid a lot of money for them, and they are invaluable to me.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Personally...

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN THE USE OF MY TOOLS: YOU BREAK IT, AND I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol, jk. Seriously though, if you think you are not capable of taking care of my tools, do not even bother asking me. I paid a lot of money for them, and they are invaluable to me.
            ...i would not ever lend precision instruments such as these, but I would welcome a scheduled tuning visit to my Man Cave by a member.

I own both tools and if the stars align I'd be more than happy to help someone out.

When these bikes are fine tuned they are even more amazing.
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I am totally new here and appreciate your kindness.
              But I have tools that I have lent to friends locally and don't even remember for sure who has them.
              For instance I have a makita power plane that I don't use real often(a wood working tool) I was going to use it last summer and went to get it and it was not there.Then I started remembering I got it down and set it on the bench for someone to come buy and pick up while I was at work like 2 years ago.
              I know it is between two people who got it.
              One his shop burned to the ground a year and a half ago and if it was him its gone.
              The other is a guy that I had to run out of my shop a year ago and if its him I would rather spend the 150 dollars for another than have him coming back around.
              And this is just small town Mn local not world wide web.
              Dave
              2 80 G's full dress
              78 goldwing
              past bikes
              75 goldwing
              79 goldwing
              81 goldwing
              73 suzuki gt 550
              74 suzuki gt 550
              750 honda chopper
              69 honda 350
              2 honda mini trail 50s

Comment

Just a few suggestions mark your tools! Get some positive ID. And keep one eye on Ebay. I do not loan tools even to most relatives because they just do not respect them.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Paved with the Best Intentions...

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  I guess I should have posted this long ago. I bought the Carbtune and colourtune (British spelling) last year and used it on a couple of my bikes. I'm willing to loan these tools out to fellow forum members free of charge as long as you pay shipping both ways. If there is a high-demand for the use of them, I will have to set a loan period of two weeks or so, so everyone has ample opportunity to use them. Let me know.
                  Ian,

Very noble gesture on your part. (Darn...I wish you and I lived in the same state/county.)

Disregarding the whole "never-gettin-them-back-from-the-thief-who-posed-as-a-XS-owner" issue, it has been my experience that offers to provide/loan test equipment just aren't acted on by the general membership here.

Example:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...13&postcount=9

I made the offer not just once and in one thread but rather Three times in three different situations to three different members. Result=No takers. The date on the original offer is now over Three years old and not a single one of the 664 members who read that single thread responded with a, "Sure.That's exactly what I need!"

My working theory is that some owners of these bikes would rather take them out of service and keep them in a perpetual "Diagnostic/service Mode." Frees them from having to risk accidents, mechanical failures/new parts($$$), and also keeps the mileage low so a couple years after joining they post the "Gotta Let'er Go" in the for sale section.

The carbs are a favorite "usual suspect" for those kinda folks and offering a spare bank or a Carb-Tune to get these folk's bikes up and running right so they can actually ride their bikes???

My experience doesn't support that happening.
                  Last edited by Larrym; 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM. Reason: Buying an XS/XJ to Flip it: Bad either way.

Comment

Yeah, I actually read that post earlier this morning. Whatevs I guess. I would have loved to borrowed one with my 750. Never mastered the whole ear thing. I'm def nor one to represent myself as a carb guru. But, my mechanical skills from my electrical and automotive background certainly help.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Nice gesture by a good man but you will get burned. How does the Carbtune pro campare to the Motion Pro unit?

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                        Nice gesture by a good man but you will get burned. How does the Carbtune pro campare to the Motion Pro unit?

I can only tell you what I had learned via a month of research on the two, and that the Morgan has better build quality and uses rods versus the MP's mercury. I ended up very satisfies with the carbtune after using crap vacuum dial gauges.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

carbtune

i recently ditched my fluid manometer for my 2nd carbtune. the ct is much easier to use and to live with. never should have sold the first one but i found that in order for the carbtune to maintain it's accuracy i dissassemble it yearly and clean the rods and inner bore of the glass tubes. very easy to do and it makes a visible difference in the tools performance. neat tool for sure.

Comment

Ian, I will call upon you in Spring when time is right
                            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                              Ian, I will call upon you in Spring when time is right
                              No problem Nick. At least ur not far away if I have to "COME FIND YOU", lol.
                              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X