Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tubeless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Bikeboy
    Your right KurtG, they did make tubeless rims for XS11 in 1979, I have one. An 1979 XS11f or standard as some people call them. And stamped on the side of the rims is the words ( Suitable For Tubeless Tires). I put Avon Venom-X Radials on my bike this past summer, and I love them. Grips the road real good. Sorry Jerry your wrong just this one time.
    Either your bike was retofitted with a later rear wheel or it was a very late 1979 modle. I've had 3 1979 XS11 Standards and all of them had tube type wheels with rimlocks in the rear.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey! Are you saying '80 standard tubeless rims fit on a '78?
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Yes, the various years are interchangeable. With a bit of work, Special rims and Standard rims can also be swapped. This is handy for lowering a Standard, or raising a Special.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

79 came with tubeless rims after the serial nr
          in this thread
          Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hart
            79 came with tubeless rims after the serial nr
            in this thread
            Just my luck to have the early ones. ;o)

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Problem fixed - thanks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2fast
              [B]Did you inflate fully before tightening the rim locks? If not, try loosening the rim locks and running the inflation up as high as you dare to be sure the beads are seated and then back off and retighten the rim locks. It should be able to take 80 lbs pretty easily.

Great advice - the old noggin needs quite a few jumpstarts these days......... fixed the wobble by:

let out air, loosen rim locks, check runout & wack with rubber mallet until runout gone, run air up to 75psi, tighten rim locks, test drive 100 mph, grin a lot (no bugs this time of year).

Love those new brakes and SS lines.
              Bob

Comment

forgot to say

let air out to 42 psi prior to riding. ouch.
                Bob

Comment

I'm glad that fixed it. I have had similar problems in the past with Triumphs. Gotta get the bead fully seated with big air before clamping the locks down. The only thing I might change would be letting the air out once more while tightening the locks just to be sure no tube parts are pinched. Then air it up to final pressure after all is said and done.
                  Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

Working...
                  X