I left E10 in the tank too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I left E10 in the tank too long

I have had one of my bikes sitting at least since spring. I left the fuel tank topped off. I've had the bike for about 30 years and it has been dormant before. In all those years the tank has always been nice shiny steel inside. Today I had a look and the inside surface is black. Right away, I thought it rusted, but how? I stuck my finger down where the tunnel is and it rubbed off. WTH!?

What is growing in there and how do I remove it? I don't care to discuss rust removal as I know how to deal with that. What is this black sh!t that rubs off and how do I get rid of it?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Marty its probably mold from the water trapped by the E10.

I would drain and put a pint of straight bleach in it closed up and slosh around. Bleach will clear it if its mold. If not then u got bigger troubles...

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Bleach won't hurt the OEM tank liner?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Bleach is not very caustic to inorganic substances. It can be dilute...a couple ounces with water is enough to kill mold.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Gonna be riding the bike and occasionally burning off a tank now and then ?? The solvent properties in the ethanol could have eaten up some gasgets which is causing the black. May not totally be the blame of the hygroscopic elements causing rust. Just something to ponder.

KILLEM biocide will take care if bacteria or fungi growth issues. O'Reilly's has it. Like $27 buck bottle will treat 1,000 gallons. (works in 767 too!!) Prist has some av stuff that will work too. I wouldn't get too fancy resolving a scum problem that will cause another problem.

Depends on when/if you plan on riding the machine again. Either drain tank then head to Bogger Hollow for a non-ethanol fill-up the 'killem' or drain the tank and prep for long term storage.

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 10-27-2012, 01:34 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jeff,

Other than a few short trips around town, it was last ridden on the Blue Ridge Parkway trip. I put the tank on my '81 project and rode around the neighborhood. The bike has a laundry list of items to fix, so maybe the kill it and store it solution is best.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

black stuff...

Jet: just my 2 cents worth. Itmay be the same black stuff (mold) I'm finding around my fuel filler cap area (under the door) on my car. I've had this car for over 20 years and never had to clean out anything but road dust in this area until this (corn gas/ Ethanol) came along. I have to use a 50/50 mix of Clorox and H2O and a tooth brush to clean this atea out. Just a thought.
              At this time:
              1985 Goldwing Innr.
              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
              2007 vtx 1300
              81 sx 1100 s h
              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Originally posted by brcree View Post
                Jet: just my 2 cents worth. Itmay be the same black stuff (mold) I'm finding around my fuel filler cap area (under the door) on my car. I've had this car for over 20 years and never had to clean out anything but road dust in this area until this (corn gas/ Ethanol) came along. I have to use a 50/50 mix of Clorox and H2O and a tooth brush to clean this atea out. Just a thought.
                If it's mold, Clorox will kill it.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

black crap

Jet: it sure will...and fast! This is why I have found a gas station that sells 100% gas...and not that crap gas! I hope you use inline fuel filters........good insurance.
                  Last edited by brcree; 10-27-2012, 04:01 PM.
                  At this time:
                  1985 Goldwing Innr.
                  1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                  2007 vtx 1300
                  81 sx 1100 s h
                  81 sx 400 special

Comment

I sure wish I could find a station here that sold real gas instead of that E10 crap. Unfortunately, they sell E10 year round here now.
                    Last edited by clcorbin; 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
                    -- Clint
                    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                      I sure wish I could find a station here that sold real gas instead of that E10 crap. Unfortunately, they sell E10 year round here now.
                      This site is often not up to date, but have a look.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NM
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I don't see the point of fighting so hard to find e-free gas. The status are rapidly dwindling and if you go on any trip you most likely won't find it. Dial your bike in on the gas readily available in your area that you will usually use and take care/precautions.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Guys I feel the need to warn you all to use caution with chemicals. Most caustics and acids react with flammables, sometimes violently with enough concentration, and I would not recommend using bleach in a gas tank. I would use a little pee gravel and mild dish soap instead. I'm not saying the tank will blow up or that it doesn't work, just be aware. Maybe you should read the MSDS first.
                          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I understand that a person will drain the fuel and let it air out before cleaning and the concentration will not be strong enough to produce a powerful reaction, I just don't see the point in taking unnecessary risk. If the black stuff is an organic mold, it will die after a week or so after you dry out the tank, there isn't much need to kill it. I hear people talk about these easy home remedy chemical fixes all the time and while nothing may happen, people do get careless. Here's an example, it you mix chlorine and gasoline, they will react violently. If you do it in an enclosed space, it will explode. If you want to use a chlorine based chemical, or bleach in your gas tank, make sure you let it air out real good, and keep in mind that gasoline leaves residue behind. I think I read that there is a coating inside the tank in question? Chlorine or bleach reaction with the fuel residue may damage the coating.
                            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I put some SEA FOAM in the tank (because I had it on hand) where it will sit topped off for two weeks. When I can get to it in two weeks, I will completely drain the tank and allow it to dry. I will leave it dry for at least two weeks. I'll see what happens after that. I have access to pure gasoline.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X