Wheel Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Paint

Well, I bought a new rear tire and thought while the tire was off that I would clean up the wheel a bit. I guess I could use a spray paint remover or maybe just use sandpaper to remove and clean up the not so bright aluminum. If I use paint remover, what paint should I use to re-paint the black part? Or maybe leave the wheel aluminum with no paint?

Does anyone have any wheel refurbishing hints that will help me on this?
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Hey, Bill.

I used a Rustoleum semi-gloss black for the wheel background and then took off the overspray on the spokes and rim with 400 grit sandpaper. Then polished with Simichrome. The results were very nice. It's a boatload of work, best don ein the winter, but well worth it in the long run. The wheel looks factory new.

Randy

Comment

Hello, I stripped my rear wheel with aircraft stripper and a wire brush. (I run a spoked rim on front) I would not want to do it again. I give Yamaha credit that paint is on there. I plan to polish it someday but I know that will be even more work because it is so rough. I think it looks good stripped but Im tellin ya its a long process. I suppose you could have it bead blasted to remove the paint. If I were going to paint it Id just go over it with some sandpaper and a wire brush and call it a day.

Good luck, Chad

Comment

I did that to a bunch of xs11 wheels. I found that the '81 paint is a lot tougher to get off than the '78 paint. I like 'em nakid!

Originally posted by slicky5150
        Hello, I stripped my rear wheel with aircraft stripper and a wire brush. (I run a spoked rim on front) I would not want to do it again. I give Yamaha credit that paint is on there. I plan to polish it someday but I know that will be even more work because it is so rough. I think it looks good stripped but Im tellin ya its a long process. I suppose you could have it bead blasted to remove the paint. If I were going to paint it Id just go over it with some sandpaper and a wire brush and call it a day.

Good luck, Chad
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

PS, try not to get paint stripper on tires you plan to use. It is best to do before mounting a new tire.

Originally posted by skids
          I did that to a bunch of xs11 wheels. I found that the '81 paint is a lot tougher to get off than the '78 paint. I like 'em nakid!

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

wheel cleaning

Just remember that polished aluminum requires a lot of maintanince.Water spots are a bitch if left anatented.After cleaning and painting I would cler coat them so the shinny parts stay shinny,with just a wipe of a rag.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
            X