Finally the "Stable's" complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally the "Stable's" complete

Well, today was my birthday and guess what I found. I just got myself the E I've always wanted.
    It's in very rough condition. It has been sitting outside under a tarp for fifteen years and wasn't serviced properly before it was abandoned. It's pretty much complete, just a few things missing but nothing major.
    This will be completely restored like my other two. I'm going with candy apple red with a silver fleck for paint, but thats a long way off.
    I'll post a picture if I get the new camera I asked for for my B-day.
    Should I start a restore thread on this one, or is everyone sick of these?
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

good for you Mack!! a bike couldn,t be in better hands ,,i,ve seen your other work and both look great ,,happy birthday buddy!!! ride safe slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
      I just got myself the E I've always wanted.

Should I start a restore thread on this one, or
      HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Thread yes. We are interested in seeing the "E" project. Congrats on the E and good luck with the project. (hope that new camera shows up too so you can post a couple pics for us)

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
        Well, today was my birthday and guess what I found. I just got myself the E I've always wanted....
        Should I start a restore thread on this one, or is everyone sick of these?
        First, Happy B-day and congratulations! The E has always been my personal favorite of all the XS models...

And knowing how you do your bikes, a restore thread is of course called for!

I'm sending you a PM...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Happy Birthday and can't wait to see some pics of the bike and see a bike build too I enjoyed following the last one I too would like to get myself an E one day.
          '79 XS11SF

Comment

Congrats Mack. I never liked the E when it was new but I was young and foolish, well more then, than now anyways. When I first rode my E after fixing it up it became my favorite ride very fast. The specials have that look that everyone back then wanted, but the Standards to me are a way better ride. I am looking forward to seeing what you have and what you will do with it.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Who doesn't like pictures of nice bikes? If they are sick of it, they don't have to click on the links (unless they are really sick and compelled to do so!)
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Happy Birthday Mack. definitely needs a thread of the restoration.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Happy Birthday Mack!!! So it's been about three hours since you started this thread, is it ready for paint yet
                  It's always nice to see a new build and look forward to seeing your results .
                  BDF Special
                  80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                  Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Not yet it ain't

Hi Mack,
                    to cover all years and models a complete stable has to have 4 Standards, 3 Specials and 2 Midnights.
                    And that's just the North American models.
                    You have only just begun.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Pictures

Ok so this is what I'm starting with, I wanted a barn find to rescue and this is it. As I said before, it's fairly complete and cosmeticly the motor looks pretty good.
                      If you look closely you'll see the passenger r/s chicken bar and swing arm bearing cap are missing. Looks like the bike has been dropped on the left side as the left rear signal is missing.The tank is full of rust, tires are shot. We literally had to carry it in as the wheels won't turn, the motor is seized, none of the cables and handles work, petcocks are seized, the oil filter cap is hanging down loose for how long I have no idea but the bottom of the engine has been exposed to open air for some time, and some of the covers are missing bolts.
                      On the bright side, the side covers, seat pan and rear tail light assembly are intact. It only has 16.3 K kilometers on it, about 10k miles.

I have a pacifico fairing for it that I bought off Tom Chisholm last year and a set of hard bags I got from Huron 52 in the spring of this year.
                      I won't be starting this project right away as I still have some wood working projects to complete before I convert the shop to and "XS 11 operating room".
                      As well I want to do some core training to strengthen my back in prep for all the bending and stooping required ( I have a bad back). This will also give the penetrating oil a chance to work it's magic.

How ever this bike will get the usual tyreatment, TC's fuse block, Tkat fork brace, Geezers regulator/rectifier, new wheel bearings, Stainless Steel brake lines, all new cables and new heavy duty clutch springs and new Elite 3 tires front and rear as standard upgrades.
                      As for the basic machine, I'll tear it down bit by bit to find out why the motor is seized. While it's apart I will probably do the second gear fix and move the offending washer to the correct spot although the PO stated infacticaly second gear was not an issue. He had no reason to lie as I basically paid him what he wanted with little fuss. The head will gone over completely and shims adjusted, buckets and barrels hand polished, new seals etc.
                      All calipers and M/C's etc., will be cleaned, powder coated and rebuilt with OEM stock. "Russel" SS brake lines and banjo's. Wiring harness will be removed, cleaned and inspected for continuity and all connectors will be replaced as required. All the usual stuff of a full restore.
                      Changed my mind on the paint scheme, will be going with a gold fleck instead of silver to match the pin stripping.
                      When I said my stable will be complete, I meant that I'll have the first and best "standard", the first and best "special" and a "midnight". Fred, that is all my marriage will tolerate. I didn't even discuss this one with her. Should have seen the look on her face when I opened the trailer. She took one look at the seat and said forget about trying to get me on that. All I said was, "cool". But I have a line on an 83 XVZ 1200 that I'm picking up in a week or two that should fit her butt nicely. Been trying to figure out how to buy it with out getting smothered in my sleep. Now I have the perfect excuse. "Honey, you said you wouldn't ride on the XS's, so I had to find one you will ride! You know it's no fun for me riding without you behind me."
                      mack
                      79 XS 1100 SF Special
                      HERMES
                      original owner
                      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                      SPICA
                      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                      IOTA
                      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                      Frankford, Ont, Canada
                      613-398-6186

Comment

Nice chrome.... That will save you some big bucks!
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Dunloo does not make the E3 in 17" so unless you swap to a special rear rim you will have to find different tires.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                          X