shock issue again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shock issue again

when i bought my '80 xs1100 special i had an issue with the rear shocks. they are nitrogen charged Works Performance Vintage Gassers with Dual Rate Springs. the previous owner installed them about 10 years and about 3,000 miles ago. they are very expensive(about $600) and far more shock than i really need for the kind of riding i do. my problem with them is that the spring preload is not adjustable unless you remove the springs. i ride solo most of the time but if i want to take my wife with me i can't easily adjust the spring preload to accomodate her additional 130 #'s. i need regular rear shocks with external spring preload adjusters, like stock. so i'm going to order some new hagon units. anybody interested in buying these WP units? i just had them recharged with nitrogen and the oil topped off at the local shop here in mesa.
    they have chrome bodies with dual black springs. $200.00 plus shipping.

Mark,

Do you know what springs to put on the new shocks? Will Hagon help you with that? I bought new shocks from Progressive Suspension with the designation. I bought the heavy duty option for the XS1100. No good! I'm hitting hard parts in the corners. I'm 230#. I had to buy another set of springs and that ran the expense up considerably.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

shocks

hi marty. hagon says they will build the shocks according to my weight(165)and passenger weight(130). they have 3 adjustments for spring preload so they should work well and be easily adjusted either solo or 2 up. these shocks i have now work great either solo or 2 up(for $600 they should), they are just more fiddling than i want to do.

Comment

what's the height on those? I might be interested....
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

12.75", same as stock

Comment

Working...
          X