need some advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some advise

ok, heres the problem. i've owned my xs for a couple months and have been working on this bug since i bought it. when i bought my xs it would cut out or just kinda start choking around 5-6000 rpm and i cant get it over 6, well the origional owner put a 4into1 on and a K&N but noone ever jetted it. so i bumped the main up a couple sizes which moved my problem area up to 6-7000rpm after reading the jetting page i am going to change the pilot as well but as my problem lies close to wot i wonder if it will make a difference? the other thing that confuses me is that if the bike isn't under a load it will rev to red line all day. does my problem lie in jetting? should i drill the airbox for more flow? tomarrow i am going to get the new pilot jets, get the carbs synched, maybe play with the needle setting and see what happens from there. the plugs dont indicate that i am running lean. i wanted to see if anyone has had a similar situation and could give me some direction. thanks

I'd say for a start, go for a high rev blast for 10 minutes, then read the plugs. Lean or rich?

Comment

With a clean K&N you probably don't need to drill the airbox. You will always benefit from a carb synch.
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

i'll try the high rev after my ride today. after i change the jets, and synch tomarrow i should have a better idea of the culpret.

Comment

With no load and red line revs you are close. Before you go do a quick check of the vacuum line to the advance unit - not kinked, loose or on the wrong nipple. Be sure the timing plate moves freely. Check your coil pick-up wires. Did you check the timing? there are two checks, one at idle and one ar 5,200 RPM with the vacuum disconnected, which I think checks the centrifugal advance. Quick and easy checks.
          Marty in NW PA
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Marty

I agree with Marty Bet its the vacumn advance or the pick up wires are broken, I see your a HD mech, You must be one busy lad !!! he he , sorry couldnt resist have a great day .....................MITCH
            Doug Mitchell
            82 XJ1100 sold
            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

HD Tech with an XS,

That's like the Coke delivery guy drinking PEPSI!!!! Welcome!!!

Aside from the previous mentioned ideas, are you sure you've got the floats set to the right height. Could you be running out of fuel in the bowls?? However if it won't get over 7k in first gear, then I doubt it's the fuel supply, however I don't know how fast it these bikes can empty the bowls at 7+K RPM???

You still might need another main jet size, but the Pilot jet shouldn't do much for your top end. The pilot circuit does contribute, but in a diminishing aspect as the throttle increases and the needle rises. Good luck, hang in there.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ha ha ha Mitch, you called him a HD mech, he is a HD TECH . I can only imagine the difference....

Milkman, just joshin' ya. Welcome to the site. Let us know how it works out. Keep asking, we have LOT'S of advice to offer.
                Marty in NW PA
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

when i was out today i got it to rev up over the problem area by running it to where it cuts out and shifting down, not every time did this work. seemed better at lower speeds. i checked the vaccum to the adv the other day and it looked healthy but i'll go over it again. yes there is always work when harley is involved. just think about the flak i get parking my XS outside the shop.

Comment

Yeah, I bought Laz-E-Boy from a Harley salesman. He was getting grief too.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Hey there Chris,

You said you checked the vacuum to the advance. Okay, so you may have good vacuum, but is your advance pump/actuator working properly? Is the vacuum and centrifical advance plate turning easily, or is it sticking, binding? Have you applied a vacuum to the advance unit and checked to see that it will hold vacuum, pull the plate around and then let it return? It may just need some cleaning and regreasing to get it to turning smoothly and quickly! Keep at it. Let us know what you find when you get it fixed!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for all the help. i just got a set of merc sticks so i am going to go synch them right now to see if there is any difference, i'll also do some checks on the actuator. does anyone have any good tricks for getting at the synch screws with the tank on?i prop it up and can get to the #1 and #4 but the #2 i think i'll have aproblem with. thanks again everyone, i know this bike has more than i'm getting and i cant wait to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by milkman
                          does anyone have any good tricks for getting at the synch screws with the tank on?
                          Get an auxilary tank from a lawn mower and use that. Or, turn the existing tank around and rest it where the seat goes.
                          Brian
                          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                          remembering the same thing!

Comment

turning the tank around looks like my best bet, i found out one of my petcocks is malfunctioning as my xs got a 91octane bath. what are the hose's inbetween 1&2 and 3&4 that go to the airbox?? some one put a screw in the airbox inlet where these hoses are???

Comment

Ahh, the plot thickens. On the early-model XS11s, there are two t-shaped fitting between 1&2 and between 3&4. The lower Ts are fuel supply to the float bowls. The upper Ts are atmospheric vents for the float bowls. These upper vents are connected to drilled nipples on the airbox. If you carbs have the upper Ts, and the hoses on these have been plugged off, or if the nipple that the hose connects to has been plugged, your float bowls will not vent properly. This can cause your float bowls to go dry.
                              Last edited by Ken Talbot; 03-07-2004, 09:34 PM.
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                              X