ignition timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition timing question

hooked up a timing light to my stock '80 xs1100sg this morning and at idle the "f" mark is within about 1mm of the timing scribe mark. the "f" is just to the left of the pointer scribe mark at idle(1000rpm). is this close enough or do i need to adjust the plate assy? the advance mechanism is working properly per the shop manual. if the plate needs adjusting must i drill off those weird heads of the screws holding the plate assy? then what do i replace them with? looks like a pita.....

One mm is not much, and keep in mind that the pointer can bend, who's to say it's perfect? the only way to verify the pointer is to find true TDC and see if the pointer is dead-on. THEN you can check and adjust the dynamic timing.

That said, for the sake of 1 mm, and being that your advance is properly working, I'd leave it alone.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
      One mm is not much, and keep in mind that the pointer can bend, who's to say it's perfect? the only way to verify the pointer is to find true TDC and see if the pointer is dead-on. THEN you can check and adjust the dynamic timing.

That said, for the sake of 1 mm, and being that your advance is properly working, I'd leave it alone.
      Dito. Also what was your idle speed? That could explain why your slightly off.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
      X