81 ignition switch query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 ignition switch query

hi guys. i am by no means an electrical guru. With that in mind, could you help me identify which wire is which?

Im installing an automotive style ignition switch in place of the stock key and starter button configuration.

If im looking at the right connector i have 2 red and white wires, a blue and white wire and a black wire.

the ignition switch is marked "accessory, battery, ignition and one that is left blank; i imagine that this terminal is for ground.

so my question would be which wire is which? thanks a bunch

ed
    81 xs1100 SH
    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
    80 suzuki gs550et
    07 suzuki S40

That's not the right plug; the OEM switch wire colors are: red - power from the battery, red/yellow - unswitched always-on power to the hazard flashers, blue - tail/running lights, and brown - everything else (ignition, headlight, turns, etc). Only two of the four stock switch positions apply power; 'on' (one click clockwise from off) and 'parking lights' (two clicks counterclockwise from off). The correct plug will be inside the headlight bucket.

You have a few choices in how you connect an automotive-type switch, but to get the closest duplication to original connect the red and red/yellow to 'battery', the brown to 'ignition', and the blue to 'accessory'. Don't use the blank one, as this would normally be the 'start' terminal. There won't be a ground. You still need to use the original 'start' button unless you alter the OEM harness and wiring on the starter solenoid. I wouldn't recommend moving the start function to the switch, you'll have to take your hand off the bars to start the bike.

I'll note that the OEM switches can be repaired or rebuilt a lot of times, is there a special reason you want/need to replace it?
    Last edited by crazy steve; 10-13-2012, 11:52 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by phatts27 View Post
      hi guys. i am by no means an electrical guru. With that in mind, could you help me identify which wire is which?

Im installing an automotive style ignition switch in place of the stock key and starter button configuration.

If im looking at the right connector i have 2 red and white wires, a blue and white wire and a black wire.

the ignition switch is marked "accessory, battery, ignition and one that is left blank; i imagine that this terminal is for ground.

so my question would be which wire is which? thanks a bunch

ed
      Hi Ed,
      The automotive switch incorporates the starter circuit, with the key springing back once the engine fires and you let go the key?
      By doing this you are giving up the stock ignition switch steering lock and parking light functions and you'll have to keep the stock killswitch wired in and only run the starter wires to the new switch.
      Or give up the killswitch but I think that's illegal?
      Clymer's '81 wiring colors;
      wiring to ign switch:-
      Red, power in.
      Red/yellow, power to 4-way.
      Tan, power to 3 fuses.
      Blue, power to separate fuse for tail light.
      Wiring to starter button:-
      Blue/white.

Black.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        Hi Ed,

Blah

blah,

Black.
        In the interest of full disclosure,
        Black is ground. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
          In the interest of full disclosure,
          Black is ground. CZ
          Hi Zapper,
          thanks for your meaningful input.
          In the interest of truly full disclosure, while Yamaha and other negative ground bikes do indeed leave the factory with their grounding wires color-coded black, positive ground Britbikes have RED ground wires.
          OTOH a dreaded PO might have used his spool of black wire for just about anything.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 10-14-2012, 09:57 AM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

I'll note that the OEM switches can be repaired or rebuilt a lot of times, is there a special reason you want/need to replace it?

Hey Steve,
            I have a OEM switch that doesn't click. It moves and does the right things in the right positions, but there are no positives stops. Any suggestions?
            82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by senrak View Post
              Hey Steve,
              I have a OEM switch that doesn't click. It moves and does the right things in the right positions, but there are no positives stops. Any suggestions?
              Take it apart and clean it very well. Once it Is clean and reassembled, lube it up with a graphite lock lube.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

the previous owner did a number on this bikes harness. He attempted to simplify the harness for a barebones effect. he also removed just about everything that isnt absolutely necessary. i bought the bike with no buttons, switches, doodads or gizmos. If i could i would like to reuse this starter switch because my fairing is already drilled out for it.

Ed
                81 xs1100 SH
                81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                80 suzuki gs550et
                07 suzuki S40

Comment

My suggestion would be to disassemble the switch and trace the circuit to see what switch position gives you what wires connected. Then look at the wiring diagram for the XS11.

The XS11 key switch has the power come in from the main fuse. In off position the Red/yellow wire is powered to run the Hazaed lights. In the ON position, The Red/yellow wire gets power, the Tan wire gets power ( power source for three of the other fuses, Ignition, Headlight, and Signals), and the Blue wire gets power (Goes to the last fuse to run the tail light). When the key switch goes to the Park position, you have power to the Red/Yellow and to the Blue wire.

In an automotive key switch, you have Off, Acc, On, and Start. So Find out if any wire in the auto switch get power in the Off position, connect that wire to the Red/Yellow wire. Then look at the Acc position, see what wires get power, use that as the Park position and put the Blue wire on it (should now give you power to Red/Yellow and Blue wires). Then check out the ON position for what wires are now connected, Add the Tan wire to that.

So now, you should be able to mimic the key function of the XS11.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                  X