Leaky Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Petcock

Hey all, I have a quick question regarding the faceplate of my right petcock. I did the mod described here http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=petcock+mod and filed off the little nub on the top of the petcock faceplate.

The problem I am having now is that the petcock is leaking from behind the faceplate. It is not a huge, gushing leak, but it does "weep" fuel which is certainly concerning.

My question is whether this is a problem with the petcock itself or possibly the gasket which sits behind the faceplate being bad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    -Andrew

80 XS11 G: Project bike

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
    ...My question is whether this is a problem with the petcock itself or possibly the gasket which sits behind the faceplate being bad...
    Two gaskets; the main seal (the one with the four holes in it) is worn, and the seal around the outer circumference of the handle is bad. The handle seal in particular will fail if the bore that it rides in is rough; and you just modded the petcock so the handle is seeing a part of the bore it's never seen before...

You might be able to disassemble the petcock and polish these areas to get rid of the leak, but it's likely you'll have to rebuild the petcocks at some point.

These are what you need for a rebuild.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS360-XS400-...item53ef35acc7
    Last edited by crazy steve; 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      These are what you need for a rebuild.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS360-XS400-...item53ef35acc7
      Have you used one of these kits?
      The reason I ask is that the seal that goes around the handle portion is, in the original model, a U shaped seal. And I was wondering if the one in the kit is that, or a solid O-ring. CZ

Comment

I haven't used the standard kits, but I have bought the special kits from George and the seals are duplicates of original....

The pic he shows looks like they're the same, I wouldn't have a problem ordering these.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have used the standard kits for petcocks from Georgefix on ebay and they are a wonderful thing. He is a number one seller and is cheap on shipping as well. He uses USPS and it cost about $2.50 to get them sent to Canada. Takes a bit longer but the product is good and the shipping time is not so bad if you plan for it. I have bought everything form carb boots to brake kits from him and have yet to be disappointed. Even the Octy diaphragm from him works well, which others have had issue with from other sellers. I Have not bought a carb kit from him yet so I can not speak to that.
          The guy will take care of you as well if special needs are required like different jetting etc. He is a quality seller and does stellar business. You will not go wrong in my opinion dealing with him.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

yeah, I rebuilt my petcocks with those kits, the seal is u-shaped like original, the only thing I did I stretched spring a little cause I read here somewhere that they are a little short and don't close well.
            my petcocks leaked afterwards, and handles were hard to turn until I sanded smooth body inside where handle's seal rides and the flat part of the handle that rides on a 4 hole seal....
            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

- - - The problem I am having now is that the petcock is leaking from behind the faceplate. It is not a huge, gushing leak, but it does "weep" fuel which is certainly concerning. - - - Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
              Hi Andrew,
              what will sometimes work if the PO hasn't already done it is to flip the 4-hole seal over to use the unworn seal lips on the other side.
              And GENTLY bend the zig-zag spring to sit taller.
              And polish the handle seal face so it shines like an outhouse door on a frosty morning. (1,000 grit or finer wet/dry paper with oil on a flat surface.)
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Fred,

Thanks for the tip. I did exactly that, and it seems to be working so far!
                -Andrew

80 XS11 G: Project bike

Comment

I just rebuilt mine with the rebuild kit from Georges and it worked great. No more leaks.

Steve

Hey all, I have a quick question regarding the faceplate of my right petcock. I did the mod described here http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=petcock+mod and filed off the little nub on the top of the petcock faceplate.

The problem I am having now is that the petcock is leaking from behind the faceplate. It is not a huge, gushing leak, but it does "weep" fuel which is certainly concerning.

My question is whether this is a problem with the petcock itself or possibly the gasket which sits behind the faceplate being bad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
                  79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Working...
                  X