Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with rear swing arm install...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with rear swing arm install...

I have a 81 SH.......The rear swing arm is in the bike but I need to know how you torque the jam nut and keep the mount bolt from turning at the same time.....
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

Once the bolts are torqued I've not had a problem with them turning when torquing the jam nut.

Remember the torque spec on the swingarm bolts is in. lbs. not ft. lbs. like the clymers manual misprint says. just sayin'.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

s/a/bolts...

BA.....that would be 75 lbs. torque on them? (bolts). Thanks. And you have to keep the 1.5 mm space in there aswell?
      Last edited by brcree; 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM.
      At this time:
      1985 Goldwing Innr.
      1976 cb 750 cafe racer
      2007 vtx 1300
      81 sx 1100 s h
      81 sx 400 special

Comment

Pivot bolts at 47 in. lbs and locknuts at 72 ft. lbs.

The 1.6mm measurement is just the maximum variance between the 2 sides. I've always just eyeballed it and centered up the swingarm between the 2 mounts. You can measure if you like.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yep, I use a dial caliper to measure cause my eye ball ain't that accurate. And yes, 47 IN-LBS on the allen head bolts. Then the 72 ft-lbs on the lock nuts.

I use a wrench on the lock nuts while holding the bolt with an allen wrench to get as tight as I can. That will typically get the bolt stationary while you torque the lock nut.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Yep, I use a dial caliper to measure cause my eye ball ain't that accurate. And yes, 47 IN-LBS on the allen head bolts. Then the 72 ft-lbs on the lock nuts.

I use a wrench on the lock nuts while holding the bolt with an allen wrench to get as tight as I can. That will typically get the bolt stationary while you torque the lock nut.
            I've never been able to to accuratly get a measurement because of the location. A screwdriver blade and eyeball works for me. Not according to Hoyle but it's really not that critical unless your WAY off.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

swing arm

Thanks much guys......great guys in here! Hope to have her on the road this week!
              At this time:
              1985 Goldwing Innr.
              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
              2007 vtx 1300
              81 sx 1100 s h
              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
              X