cam chain tensioner plug gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam chain tensioner plug gone

Would anybody happen to have one of those cam chain tensioner plugs laying around for a 78? Or, where one could be bought? No local Yama-dealer close but if they're still available I guess I could make the 40+ mile ride to get one. I noticed a little oil the other day and saw mine was gone. Have one on the parts bike but kinda hate to uncork the engine just for that, if you know what I mean.
    Thanks.
    David

Take the tensioner out and take it to an auto parts store and see if they have small diameter freeze (expansion) plugs. I think 1/2-9/16 inch is what I used. You will have to make the outside diameter a little smaller, and it will be a snug fit. Make sure you clean the area real well with carb spray, or brake clean. Tap it in with hammer and punch. Once in place, fill the cavity with black silicone, smooth it over, and let it cure over night. It will work fine and look great. If you don't want to do that, I've got the one that I recently repaired for sale to a customer, who decided he didn't need it after all.

Comment

I use a rubber vacuum plug from a parts store in mine. The plug is cup shaped and meant to cap an unused port, just turn it cup out and stuff it in the hole, no sealer needed. It is easily removed for adjustment and has not fallen out in a year and a half. Any auto parts store should have a selection of them.
      buffalo
      80 XS1100SG

Comment

You modern guys are so cool. I just glopped some JB Weld in there 5 years ago.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Then again, you can simply fabricate a new plug from cork and glue it in with some RTV silicone. Of course, you can't just use a cork from a bottle of wine, it has to come from a bottle of champagne. With proper execution, this might even get you some brownie points from SWMBO...
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Obviously, Ken, you finished the champagne before you hatched that one! Cheers.

Randy

Comment

David,

I bought a new one from Sloan's about a year ago and it was about $4. Give them a call and they will order one for you and we can pick it up on Monday or they will mail it to you. Oh, get a gasket too.

I looked for my old one, but I must have thrown it away.
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Went to Adjust the Tensioiner last night after I changed the oil in the xs650 and lo and behold the cork fairy must have replaced my tensioner plug with a cork too. But it's leaking some probably a low grade wine cork. One more thing to do.
                Russ
                Russ Neal
                Milton, NH
                04 GL1800 ABS
                04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                80 XS1100G(Sold)
                81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Yup, that's what you would expect using something that was pulled from a bottle with a corkscrew...
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                  X