Question for you late carb gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you late carb gurus

I know some of the later carbs have a rubber plug over the pilot jet and some don't. Question is, how do you tell which take the plug and which don't?

I'm putting Doc's carbs together and there are plugs in the parts but looking at the carbs there is no feed to the pilots. Seems that if they take plugs there would have to be a feed port from the main well and these don't have one.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

You got it right. If there's no crossover hole from the main to the pilot then no plugs.
    If you did plug it up, then the pilot circuit would get no fuel and you'd know it real quick.

Vice versa works too, If you do have the crossove hole and leave the plugs out, then the pilot circuit gets way too much fuel and you'll know that too. BTDT.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks George. That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I've never used the lat carbs because I always thought the early ones better because of being more adjustable.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Thanks George. That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I've never used the lat carbs because I always thought the early ones better because of being more adjustable.
        Actually having seperate fuel feeds, not being combined the later carbs are more adjustable for each circuit.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Actually having seperate fuel feeds, not being combined the later carbs are more adjustable for each circuit.
          But, no adjustment on the slide needles and the idle mixture screws are a p.i.t.a. to get to.
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            But, no adjustment on the slide needles and the idle mixture screws are a p.i.t.a. to get to.
            metering rod slots......gotta give ya that one........idle mix screws, not so much since hopefully the tank is off for a sync anyways if the mixture screw settings are changed with the 'lean drop' method.......if your hearing is up to snuff.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I don't need to take the tank off. I can see the screws and adjust them with my 1970's 90º adjusting tool.

The only thing I don't like is the bowl vent tubes going to the air box, adds to the clutter in there, and the idle can be a bitch to adjust.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Flat blade screwdriver makes adjusting idle a snap
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

One thing I have found to be common on all my carbs (which I think most are original) is the small tit located in the later fuel bowl and its absence from the earlier fuel bowls. It is located in a place which would hold in a rubber plug when the bowl was installed. Here are a couple of pics to show you the tit I speak of. I may be wrong but all of the carbs I own with rubber plugs have this small tit in the fuel bowl.

2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    One thing I have found to be common on all my carbs (which I think most are original) is the small tit located in the later fuel bowl and its absence from the earlier fuel bowls. It is located in a place which would hold in a rubber plug when the bowl was installed. Here are a couple of pics to show you the tit I speak of. I may be wrong but all of the carbs I own with rubber plugs have this small tit in the fuel bowl.

Hmm.....Interesting. I've not heard of that before. Thanks Doug.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

good 'catch' there Doug! Myself, never messed with the early model XS carbs, but in a nutshell I can see where they would be more 'forgiving' to deal with feeding from both circuits. I can say, if you make so much as a minute change in the later carbs and they don't like it, they will definitely let you know. IMO, maybe not so much from the early carbs, just from the fact they share circuits to a certain extent.

Comment

hey greg,
                        the later carbs on the rh bikes (aus)
                        had adjustable slide needles that u could
                        use with the later special carbs,
                        the later carbs are also better designed to run pods
                        and the mixture screw tips dont break off either. :-)
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Gotta give you the idle mix screw tips. Those are weak and suck.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

yeah, that little tit will prevent you from swapping bowls into earlier carbs, plus brass tube doesn't line up right
                            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                              yeah, that little tit will prevent you from swapping bowls into earlier carbs
                              Most of the later carbs don't even use that rubber plug so that usually is not an Issue, only the first part of the '80 model year used that plug.

The brass tube IS the true issue.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X