engine/transmission diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine/transmission diagram

can anybody direct me to a diagram or pictures showing how power is transmitted through an xs1100 from crankshaft to final drive? there is nothing in the oem shop manual and i find nothing on line. perhaps even a written description of the path the power takes. thanks

Y'know, I never seen either a diagram or a description. That's common in other manuals, but mother Yammy must figure we don't need to know...

I'm curious, why do you need the info?
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
      can anybody direct me to a diagram or pictures showing how power is transmitted through an xs1100 from crankshaft to final drive? there is nothing in the oem shop manual and i find nothing on line. perhaps even a written description of the path the power takes. thanks
      Primary chain is connected to the crank shaft and the transmission, which spins the tranny gears. Tranny gears spins the middle drive which changes the rotation from perpendicular to the frame to parallel to the frame. middle drive spins the U-Joint that is connected to the drive shaft that is connected to the final drive. The final drive then again changes the parallel rotation back to perpendicular and spins the tire.

I am sure someone else can do this better though.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

so, how/where does the tranny drive the middle drive unit since the md unit is lubed separately? i guess i need pictures.... i'm a visual kinda guy

Comment

In post # 5 in THIS THREAD you will see the entire middle drive, driveshaft w/tube and final drive dissassembled in a parking lot in Tennessee last Monday night.

The middle drive is mounted behind the starter on the left side and is driven by a splined shaft. It has a separate reservoir for oil since it runs gear oil rather than engine oil like the tranny does.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The middle drive is gear driven from a gear on the countershaft to a small shaft (upper shaft in diagram). The oil seal on the far right keeps the middle drive oil and the engine oil seperate.

2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you look at the transmission diagram on page 3-15 of the factory manual, at the top there's two gears idenified as the middle drive gear and the middle driven gear. The latter gear only contacts the former and is the gear that drives the middle drive. Note the splined collar, that's where the middle drive driven shaft goes in. Greg sent you to a post showing one...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                In post # 5 in THIS THREAD you will see the entire middle drive, driveshaft w/tube and final drive dissassembled in a parking lot in Tennessee last Monday night.

The middle drive is mounted behind the starter on the left side and is driven by a splined shaft. It has a separate reservoir for oil since it runs gear oil rather than engine oil like the tranny does.
                Meant to say u-joint
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

thanks. after looking at the pics of that bike torn apart with the middle drive unit laying on the ground, HOLY CRAP some of you guys are *&^%$(@
                  amazing when it comes to roadside repairs. i'm a pretty good mechanic but to do work like this in a parking lot, and then ride the bike away, is something i would not envision me doing. my tool kit consists mainly of a cell phone and a credit card. i can effect small repairs while on the road but to be able to take almost the entire drive train out and apart is really mind boggling. you are truly fortunate to be able to ride with guys like these. i don't. most of my riding buddies look up to me as the mechanic in our group 'cause i can dial the cell phone and summon aid when needed kudos!

Comment

It's really not as complicated as it seems Mark. Tod is quite experienced with these bikes, especially his since he has broken nearly every thing at least once since he's owned it.

A good array of tools to carry along, especially if your riding a distance, is a must. Or, at least someone else who does.

The credit card and cell phone saved my tail when I needed a new tire in the middle of nowhere Arkansas last week though. ( And free towing from trbigs AMA membersip)
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Talking about roadside repairs, one of the most amazing things I ever saw happened back in the early seventies. I was working at a Standard Station right off I5 in Tacoma Wa when I watched this VW bus pull off onto our exit. That bus was knocking loud enough to easily hear from 300 yards away (over the freeway noise) and sounded like it should expire at any time. The bus goes up the exit and disappears, then reappears coming down the road towards the station. Up close, the knock was even louder if possible. The long-hair driving it pulls into our lot and gets out and listens for a moment, then shuts it off.

He then proceeds to walk over and asks very politely if we minded if he looked at his bus. Said no problem, but you can't leave it here. He replies, nope, I shouldn't be too long. And by the way, could I borrow your floor jack for a bit? Well, it was a slow afternoon, so we said sure but if we need it back you'll have to give it up. No problem he says...

The motor was out and on the ground in a matter of minutes. He then split the cases, pulled out the offending rod, and cleaned the crank throw. He then pulled out a box of parts, selected a rod/piston he liked, and started reassembling it. Before we knew it, the motor was back in and he brings the jack back. He goes back over, fires the bus up, spends a few minutes resetting the timing or whatever. Loads up his tools/parts, comes over and thanks us for letting him use the jack, then gets in and motors back down the road. The knock is totally gone, the motor sounds fine....

Total elapsed time, from when he pulled in to when he pulled out, 45 minutes.... As Fred would say, effin' amazing...

I have no doubt this guy got to where he was going!

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

To give a little more detail to the drive train, (yeah I know, bleedin engineers and their detail) Start with THIS page. See the gear in the middle of the crank shaft? That is what drives the HYVO chain. The HYVO chain then drives the Primary shaft. You can also see the starter clutch on the Primary shaft.

At the right side end of the primary shaft is a gear. Right side in the engine, left side in the diagram. That gear meshes with the teeth on the outer basket of the clutch. The inner basket of the clutch is splined to mesh onto the transmission main shaft shown as the lowest shaft of gears in Bikerphils post. So when the clutch is engaged (pressure on the friction disc to drive the steel plates) the engine turns the primary shaft which turns the main shaft in the transmission. When disengaged, only the crank the primary shaft and the outer clutch basket turn. Interestingly enough, the oil pump is also driven off the outer clutch basket.

As Phil outlined, depending what gear your in, the transmission changes how fast it spins the middle gear. When the transmission is in neutral, only the main transmission shaft turns, not the countershaft that has the middle drive gear.

Having pulled the engine out of a VW bug on several occasions, it is a VERY simple process. They have 3 wires to disconnect, the fuel line, 4 bolts holding it to the transmission, and two cables hooked to the exhaust that control the heat. But still, dang impressive to pop the jugs off and split the case that quick.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

more roadside repairs

i read an account of a guy riding across country on a ural. he broke down in a small midwestern town, was parked in the local sears roebuck parking lot. took the motor apart, found he had a broken pushrod. went into sears, bought the longest round shaft screwdriver they had and a hacksaw. 30 minutes later he had a new "push rod", installed it and put the motor back together. was on his way in 2 hours. pretty damn cool. apparently he made it to california without any more problems. amazing. these are the guys that keep this country running

Comment

Rookie mistake....

Not carrying a hacksaw blade in your kit. I wrap mine in duct tape.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                              Rookie mistake....

Not carrying a hacksaw blade in your kit. I wrap mine in duct tape.

John
                              So now we know what happened to that exhaust, got bored over night and tried out the hacksaw.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X