Carb Float Adjustment Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Float Adjustment Tool

I am looking for a tool to adjust the float heights , what do you use or what do you think is the best tool for the job? I am asking about a measuring device, not something to bend the tab!
    Gary
    79sf
    78e

I use a dial caliper (my eyes are too bad to read a vernier). You use the handle part and you average both sides for a reading.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Didn't I read a tip somewhere about making a gauge?
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Marty, You got two gages from me...one for 78-79 and one for 80-81. I bought the professional tool from Factory-Pro.

Text from website:
        Sooo....

You read the carb kit instructions and they specify a 15mm float height. Float height? What's a float height? 15mm? How much is that in inches? (it's .590")

Does that mean I must do it???
        YES!

Gee whiz! What do I measure with??

You can use a set of vernier calipers, if you have them - they are great for measuring all sorts of things, but you can make it even easier with our...

Float Level Setting Gauge

Measures from 0mm to more than you will ever need! Easier to use than vernier calipers on carbs. The vertical legs adjust in width and the thin post slides up and down so you can slide the post to the required clearly marked float height measurement.

To adjust float height:

1. Tilt the carbs so that the floats just flop over towards and into the carb body.

2. Tilt just enough to touch and close the float the float valve, but...

3. Do NOT compress the float valve spring when measuring.

4. With the metal adjustment tang on the float just touching, but not compressing the float valve spring, place the Setting Gauge over the highest part of the float. If there is a gasket or o-ring stuck to the carb body, remove it while measuring.

5. In Factory Pro applications, if the floats are different, right to left, use the highest float (the one farthest away from gasket surface).

6. To correct the float height setting, bend the small metal tang, then recheck the measurement. Bend the tang a little bit at a time till you get it right. Must be all within a .5mm (1/2mm) or .020" range of each other.

Why adjust the float height?

Changing the float height changes the level of the fuel in the float bowl. The fuel height adjusts the full throttle, 2k-3k rpm and part throttle cruise, as in cruising around town, trying to be quiet... To give a scale of change, if the bike runs well when cold, but gets a bit sloppy when fully warmed up, lower the fuel level 1mm (i.e. go from 15mm to 16mm float height - remember the float measurement is "backwards").

When do I adjust the float height?

When installing a Carb Recalibration Kit tm.
        When rebuilding carbs.
        To adjust low rpm / part throttle operation that isn't pilot jet, fuel screw or needle height related.
        When a bike starts running rich at low rpm after a mishap or
        After an overwhelming gravity equalization process occurs.

How much is the nifty Float Valve Measuring Tool? How much is that nifty Float Valve Measuring Tool?

About $44.95, direct from Factory Pro

415 721-4964 voice
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

"Marty, You got two gages from me..."
          Yeah, but they are still in storage far away. I thought it might be quicker if someone remembered that tip (if there was one, maybe I'm dreaming).
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Don't remember a tip...maybe just a post on the old yahoo list, but a list member made them and sold them to the list members for a few bucks each.
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I ordered one from Factory Pro today.
              Gary
              79sf
              78e

Comment

Working...
              X