Bike runs the dies after 5 mins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike runs the dies after 5 mins

Hey so i was riding my bike yo denver from houston as i was shifting gears it felt like a gear sliped out or was partially engaged cause as i kept on the throttle the bike would not go past 40mph and died shortly after this so i pushed the bike of the road and tried to start it and it would not run i then waited for about an hour and started it and it ran great for all of 5 mins.. so i thought it may be a carb issue and upon further inspection of the carbs i could not find any faults but since i have the carbs arpt now i notice they could use a good cleaning and figured with winter coming why not just try and over haul the entire bike while all the white stuff is on the ground. but i would be very thankful for any help trouble shooting the main issue
    1979 XS 1100 first bike ever

Will it run longer with the gas cap open?Maybe a plugged cap vent.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
      Will it run longer with the gas cap open?Maybe a plugged cap vent.
      +1. I've been through the same issue.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

You might want to resolve your problem first before taking everything apart otherwise you'll never find the problem if you introduced another...
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by Frush87 View Post
          Hey so i was riding my bike yo denver from houston as i was shifting gears it felt like a gear sliped out or was partially engaged cause as i kept on the throttle the bike would not go past 40mph and died shortly after this so i pushed the bike of the road and tried to start it and it would not run i then waited for about an hour and started it and it ran great for all of 5 mins.. so i thought it may be a carb issue and upon further inspection of the carbs i could not find any faults but since i have the carbs arpt now i notice they could use a good cleaning and figured with winter coming why not just try and over haul the entire bike while all the white stuff is on the ground. but i would be very thankful for any help trouble shooting the main issue
          More likely a primary or secondary ignition issue than a fueling issue. Would help to know year and model as there is differences ignition wise.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
            You might want to resolve your problem first before taking everything apart otherwise you'll never find the problem if you introduced another...
            +1!!!!! Figure out the problem before you potentially cause other problems!!!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

this sounds like something i may have just went thourgh. so trust me when i say check wires going to PICKUP COILS for a break
              1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Being the every day normal human, I am naturally drawn to the quickest simplest solution. So, I would try the gas cap first. Does sound like it is running short on fuel, but an air locked tank will not let fuel out since air can not get in. As suggested, run it with the gas cap open, if it improves you know the cause. If not, then move on to the ignition items like pick-up coils. Just my 2c worth.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  Being the every day normal human, I am naturally drawn to the quickest simplest solution. So, I would try the gas cap first. Does sound like it is running short on fuel, but an air locked tank will not let fuel out since air can not get in. As suggested, run it with the gas cap open, if it improves you know the cause. If not, then move on to the ignition items like pick-up coils. Just my 2c worth.
                  only reason i suggested what i did is cause it sounded real simial to what i was going through. that morning when i was riding from the turn i was giving her all she had and she did the same thing. but i called it spitting and sputtering.
                  1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

I am not sugesting I think your wrong, may well be the pick-up coils. Just saying that running it with the gas cap open is a very simple thing to try first.

I have found that fixing anything complicated and electro-mechanical like these bikes is a process of eliminating what it is not till you find what it is. Rule out the simplest things first, then move on to the tougher ones.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      Rule out the simplest things first, then move on to the tougher ones.
                      Absolutely. Also, only do one thing at a time.....resist any temptation to remove the coils, the pickups, the carbs etc all in one go. Just go one step at a time and see if it cures the problems and, as DGXSER has said, it makes sense to start with the simple things. In general, carb issues are at the more complicated end of the spectrum because it involves gasoline, lots of little parts that need cleaning, airways/fuelways than need checking etc and it's messy. So, if I were you, I would start with the fuel cap, then check plugs, ignition leads, coils, pickup coils, vacuum advance (if fitted) and, if all that lot doesn't nail the problem, then start on the carbs, fuel lines, fuel filters etc etc.

You may find, as many people have, that it's as simple as a blocked fuel cap, or a pickup lead.

Re-reading your post, it seems you have thew carbs off already, so I suppose you should clean them thoroughly now that they are off the bike!
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        Absolutely. Also, only do one thing at a time.....resist any temptation to remove the coils, the pickups, the carbs etc all in one go. Just go one step at a time and see if it cures the problems and, as DGXSER has said, it makes sense to start with the simple things. In general, carb issues are at the more complicated end of the spectrum because it involves gasoline, lots of little parts that need cleaning, airways/fuelways than need checking etc and it's messy. So, if I were you, I would start with the fuel cap, then check plugs, ignition leads, coils, pickup coils, vacuum advance (if fitted) and, if all that lot doesn't nail the problem, then start on the carbs, fuel lines, fuel filters etc etc.

You may find, as many people have, that it's as simple as a blocked fuel cap, or a pickup lead.

Re-reading your post, it seems you have thew carbs off already, so I suppose you should clean them thoroughly now that they are off the bike!
                        I will have to try that with the gas cap and then ill check the coils ya i already got the carbs out and just got all the new carb parts in today my carbs were pretty dirty so kinda happy i am cleaning them hmmm thoo next hard part will be to sync them lol i feel like an idiot now for jumping like that
                        1979 XS 1100 first bike ever

Comment

Hey Frush,

As I probably stated when you registered, these machines are YEAR and MODEL specific and tech info is directly related. IF we don't know the whole picture, then we can't give the correct advice. I just viewed your profile, and you posted your serial # of your bike, a 3H3 model, which is a 79 SF Special...which is NOT listed in your signature.

But knowing this info then provides us with more fuel supply related info....that your bike originally came with an OCTOPUS vacuum controlled valve fuel assembly. As you stated, waiting a few minutes, and then the bike will run again for 5 minutes...a bit longer than the time it take to empty the carb float bowls when running. IF the OCTY is misbehaving, then it can also restrict the fuel flow to the carbs. Cause can be a cracked vacuum hose that goes from the Octy to the #2 carb boot sync port. Or the Octy vac. valve diaphragm has gotten stuck so it doesn't open much so it only allows a small amount of fuel flow.

SO....yes, the gas cap vent may be clogged, but that's not the only possible fuel delivery problem....now that we know that you have a Special...provided you still have the OEM Octy valve assembly. IF the open gas cap doesn't solve the 5 minute stall problem, then turn the petcocks to PRIME, which bypasses the Octy's vac. control and feeds the bowls directly. IF the 5 minute stall is solved after this, then you can then say that the Octy is at fault, and the solution can be to either just remove it and remember to turn your petcocks to OFF when you park, or spend the $ to rebuild the Octy, or just replace the vac. hose...depending on what you find wrong with it!

If these fuel delivery diagnostics don't solve the 5 minute stall, then I would say look for other faults as mentioned... ie. ignition.

Would be good to edit your profile/signature to add that it's a 79 SF Special.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by devilschld View Post
                            this sounds like something i may have just went thourgh. so trust me when i say check wires going to PICKUP COILS for a break
                            GOOD advice buddy !! ride safe ,,slow mo!
                            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                            moemcnally@hotmail.com
                            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                            X