Nude! Nude! Totally Nude!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nude! Nude! Totally Nude!

I've always wondered what was under that tight-fitting cover...what secrets were hidden from view...

Okay, as I approach the third year of non-op for my XS, I am finally ripping away the cover and peeking inside.

Back in the beginning, as I searched for reasons for a debilitating lack of spark, I looked at the scabby solder job I did on the pick-up coils as a possible problem. Two of the wires that attach to the pick-ups are blue/gray, and I asked if it made a difference which one went where. The best answer I got was "Of COURSE it does!", but since they are the same color, I wasn't sure, and no one had a way to tell which was which.

I bought a replacement pick-up coil set, as mine had powdered right up to the pick-up and left little to solder. The new-to-me set also had powdered wires, so I did the wire fix, using my patented scabby soldering:

Realizing that I had neglected to splice on shrink-fit tubing, I taped with plastic tape.
    I decided to see which wires went where and did what. I noticed that there are splices from the factory that link regular wire to the soft wire that attaches to the pick-ups.
    -the front pink wire goes to the orange wire to the TCI
    -the front blue grey wire goes to the dark blue wire that goes to the TCI
    -the rear light gray wire goes to the gray wire to the TCI
    -the rear blue gray goes to the black wire that goes to the TCI
    -a sky blue wire goes from the TCI and under the engine, I think to ground

I am going to use the remaining soft wire to splice into the replacement pick-ups and the use a four-place junction to hook to my existing PU coil-to-TCI harness.
    After that doesn't work, I'll try something else.
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

If the wiring diagram is to be believed, for an 80G, the blue wire, the one in the center of the plug, goes to the neutral switch in the tranny, which make a connection to ground when the tranny is in neutral. Which turns on the dash light.
    No guaranties expressed or implied. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
      If the wiring diagram is to be believed, for an 80G, the blue wire, the one in the center of the plug, goes to the neutral switch in the tranny, which make a connection to ground when the tranny is in neutral. Which turns on the dash light.
      No guaranties expressed or implied. CZ
      That wire is for the neutral light on all the XS11's. It can easily ground out you pickup coil wires and make you lose spark
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So, would clipping that wire restore the curcuit, or would grounding it be the solution?

Comment

The neutral wire would have to be permanently grouded, like to a case bolt. But then your neutral light is always on.

When I had trouble with mine i just replaced the whole wire. I crimped a new wire to the end of the old wire and the used the old wire to pull the new wire through the looms i pulled the old wire out.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate, what was your bike doing? Did it crank, but make no sparks until the field collapsed and sent a single spark?

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
              Nate, what was your bike doing? Did it crank, but make no sparks until the field collapsed and sent a single spark?
              I was just loosing spark from one coil. Didnt look very hard cause I knew what was going on.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So, if I understand, if the neutral switch or wire grounds out, the neutral light is always on; therefore, if the neutral light works properly, that isn't causing a lack of spark.

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                  So, if I understand, if the neutral switch or wire grounds out, the neutral light is always on; therefore, if the neutral light works properly, that isn't causing a lack of spark.
                  Well, not necessarily. I had an LED bulb with doesn't take much to light (and even it was sort of dim) so it probably wont light a incandescent bulb but could still be a problem.

If you have been fighting this for several years then it is time to check the unlikely!

It could also be the somewhat crappy (or at least the ones on mine were) factory covers over the splices in the pickup coil wires. Where the super flexible wires are spliced to the regular wire, you could have the signal getting out through those loose plastic insulators that cover those splices. I know mine were basically open on both ends and water and anything else could get right in there. The current could be bleeding out on water, or even on a light oily coating.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Check this one out, don't know if it will apply to your trouble or not...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37779
                    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Funny you should mention that, Mike. I saw that thread a couple of days ago and plan to investigate that possibility this weekend. Thanks for looking out for me.

Comment

Well, I did that blue wire jumper in the connection behind the fuse box, full of hope, but no change.

I was looking the pickup coils over, reluctant to cut into the wires, when I decided to go for it. I cut the pickup harness, put in my replacement pickups, and...SPARK!

I put her back together, hooked up the gas, checked the connections, and cranked. She tried to catch a couple of times, but never got going. But at least with some sparks I'll have a shot at getting her going again. Who knows what effect my other "repairs" (tongue in cheek) have had after two years of random wrenching.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Now after two years of sitting, probably have to go through the carbs too.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                          X