Won't Idle and Harley Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't Idle and Harley Exhaust

I am also can't get the bike to idle. I have some cracks in the carb boots going to seal them wih RTV. I'm thinking using seafoam to see if it helps it, not sure if I'm ready to rebuild the carbs if I don't have to. I was also wondering if anybody has experience with harley mufflers and the need to re-jet the carbs, if it's pretty certain I'll have to re-jet then I'll probablyjst go all the way and rebuild the carbs. If not I'd like to drive it some and check the plugs to see where I'm at.
    Russ
    Russ Neal
    Milton, NH
    04 GL1800 ABS
    04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
    99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
    80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
    83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
    80 XS1100G(Sold)
    81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Re: Won't Idle and Harley Exhaust

Originally posted by rneal55555
    I am also can't get the bike to idle. I have some cracks in the carb boots going to seal them wih RTV. I'm thinking using seafoam to see if it helps it, not sure if I'm ready to rebuild the carbs if I don't have to. I was also wondering if anybody has experience with harley mufflers and the need to re-jet the carbs, if it's pretty certain I'll have to re-jet then I'll probablyjst go all the way and rebuild the carbs. If not I'd like to drive it some and check the plugs to see where I'm at.
    Russ
    I have sportster mufflers on my XS11 Mongrel and I didn't have to rejet but it was running rich when I bought it.

BTW, I scored a killer deal on a K&N jet kit on eBay. K&N is dumping old and overstock stuff on eBay and it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for more of them.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

So you are the one who bought that out from under me!!!\
      buffalo
      80 XS1100SG

Comment

Originally posted by buffalo
        So you are the one who bought that out from under me!!!\
        Maybe. There were 3 or 4 of them listed and I sniped somebody. ;o)

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Re: Won't Idle and Harley Exhaust

Originally posted by rneal55555
          Russ
          Hey Chief. Before you put any 'sillycone' on the carb boots, try spraying some WD-40 or similiar product on them while it's running. If they are leaking, you will notice a change in RPMs. They should increase as the leaks will momentarily be sealed off, and the fuel air mixture will richen up. Don't use ether or carb spray-too flammable. If you do need to recoat them, use a product called plasti-dip. It flows out much better, and leaves a better finish. It comes in colors, too. The boots may look cracked, but they seem to have a hard coating on the inside that stays 'water tight' Being on the boat in New England, you probably didn't get to ride very often this winter. Did you put it up for the winter? Use a fuel stabilizer? Could well be some gunked up passages in the idle circuit. Try the Sea Foam, not the stuff on the beach, but the stuff in the parts store. That may just clean out the carbs. Do you have access to a 'hobby shop' on base where you can pull the carbs to clean them? I don't think the Safety Officer (unless that's you) would like it too much if you brought them into the engine room to rebuild them.

I don't know anything about changing to Harley mufflers, never tried to install any. What size main jets are in your bike?
          Last edited by John; 03-06-2004, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Just bought it this winter so I can't really answer any of those questions Have a hard to getting it to start and it woun't idle when it does it almost seems to be flooding. I suspect nothing was done to lay it up for the winter, the guy I got it from said he had bought it for his kid but after he rode decided it was too much bike for him. So he put it up for sale. One other thing may sound really stupid but have been assuming you pus down on the choke to turn it on but I do have this nagging doubt when I try to start it and you know what happens when you assume.
            Russ
            Russ Neal
            Milton, NH
            04 GL1800 ABS
            04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
            99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
            80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
            83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
            80 XS1100G(Sold)
            81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Carbs

Chief, when you said someting about pushing down on the lever to apply the choke, did you mean the lever on the left side of the carbs, or do you have a handlebar mounted choke lever? It should be on the left side of the carbs. It's a small chrome lever that has a black plastic pad on the top side. Moving the plastic pad outward applies the choke. You will feel it 'click ' into position. There are two positions. full choke and 1/2 choke. The XJ 11 had the choke lever on the left handlebar. Rotating it to to the right should apply it. Maybe the PO modified the choke assembly.
              It sounds like you'll need to go through the carbs and clean them out realy well, and repace the float needle and seats. Check the pilot screws, in the top, engine side of the carbs. Someone may have broken one or more off when attempting to adjust them. They were sealed off from the factory. Have you bought a repair manual for it yet? It's a good $20 investment. Are you friends with the Engineman on the boat? He may be able to help with the carbs if that's not your strong suit.
              Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Comment

Old Gas

Hey there Russ,

You say you bought it this winter, however have you actually put any gas into it, or did it already have a fairly full tank? And if you haven't put gas into it, then it could easily be 6 months old. And if it was the lowest octane regular, starting at 87, and gas will loose about an octane point a month, it could easily be well close to 80!!! Not to mention the amount of varnish and crud that could build up. Try draining the tank, putting some fresh high octane in it along with your SeaFoam. Just some other thoughts!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X