xs1100 coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 coils

when, and if, the ignition coil(s) fail do they just die suddenly or do they slowly fail? other than the bike not running, what other symptoms show up?

A few weeks back, a fellow XSive had bad miss in the low RPM range. Worse when you gave it more throttle. Turned out to be bad coils. Spark was weak at the lower output of the alternator in low RPM range.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I used to have an annoying splutter which disappeared forever when I put the green Dyna coils on. I'd always assumed it was fuel but it definitely wasn't!
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        A few weeks back, a fellow XSive had bad miss in the low RPM range. Worse when you gave it more throttle. Turned out to be bad coils. Spark was weak at the lower output of the alternator in low RPM range.
        I've just had exactly the same, below 3K rpm cylinders 1 + 4 would cut out, above 3K rpm they chimed in and ran great, I assumed it was 1 + 4 pick-up coil wires but they checked out Ok, changed the coil and back to normal running.

I also came to the conclusion it was worse at lower revs because of lower voltage output from the alternator, it was a pig to start only going if jumped with leads from a mates bike that was running.

Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

My stock coils seem to develop a misfire when very hot (+95Degrees) in city. Since it's been 60s and 70s lately it seems to run GREAT. And when the bike sits for a while after running (heat soak) they will develop a weak spark again.

I really need to replace my coils. No $ right now.
          1) Fire up Internet Explorer
          2) http://www.yahoo.com
          3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
          4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

A less expensive option on the coils is the Honda VF1000 or Magna coils. They are a direct bolt in replacement for the 3 ohm coils (or just remove your ballast resistor like you would using the Dyna coils). You can spot them on evilbay for less than $40 often. The UK website list them as an upgrade for the bike, and I have been running them for about a year, it is also what I put on another members bike. So far he loves them.

They are still used coils, but they are much cheaper than the Accel or Dyna coils and they have replacable plug wires. So for the budget minded, they can make good sense.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I used Honda Fireblade coils to replace my bust one, they're the same as the VF1000 coils as far as working goes, just the fitment is slightly different as they have smaller hole centres, I just use one bolt instead of two. If you are happy to make little brackets bolt them up with two.

I've been running these type coils for a few years on one of my other XS11's without any hassles, the good thing about them is they have separate leads so they can be replaced.

Most modern coils (dunno about the plug top ones) I've come across are 3 ohm coils so will fit the XS11 with the ballast resistor removed.
              Tom
              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by Diskman01 View Post
                My stock coils seem to develop a misfire when very hot (+95Degrees) in city. Since it's been 60s and 70s lately it seems to run GREAT. And when the bike sits for a while after running (heat soak) they will develop a weak spark again.

I really need to replace my coils. No $ right now.

Bad plug connectors also get worse when hot. Make sure it is the coils 'cause the plug connectors are WAY cheaper.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Diskman,

Your profile says your bike is a 78E, would be nice to have that info in your signature so it would show with every post instead of just in your Profile!

You may also want to check your ballast resistor, it gets quite hot when working, may be having increased resistance than normal with the heat which could drop the coil voltage even more! But like has been said, check the plug caps, they come apart where the plug goes in, inscrews, internal resistor there also, should only be ~5k ohm.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Diskman,

I had a similar issue with my 78E this summer that turned out to be a bad pulser coil. The test to check it is very easy to perform.

Unplug the 4 prong connector from the TCI unit and check resistance. White/red to White/green is for pick up coil number 1. Yellow/green to yellow/red are for number 2 pick up coil. Both should be 720 ohms, plus/minus 20%.

If that's not it and you are sure it's an ignition problem, then coils, plug wires or plug caps are a good bet.
                    My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

1980 yamaha ex 1100
                      no spark

Replaced coils and ignition unit .
                      Have voltage where I should still mo spark.
                      I hot wire white wire on stator and get spark on 1 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Cwalina View Post
                        1980 yamaha ex 1100
                        no spark

Replaced coils and ignition unit .
                        Have voltage where I should still mo spark.
                        I hot wire white wire on stator and get spark on 1 and 4.
                        Measure the resistance of the ignition pick-up coils (aka pulsar coils) per the instructions in the service manual. Let us know what you find.
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                        X