Paint quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint quantity

How much paint does it take to repaint a tank and the two side covers?

Also, what is a good product to repair a cracked side cover?

And.........Is there a special clear coat to help protect from stone chips?

I am thinking about changing the color of my bike this winter.
    I would also have to see if I can change the color of the custom leather seat from wine to black. I have the stock seat too, but the custom seat that came with the bike is way more comfortable.
    80 XS1100 SG "Iron Horse"

I can't speak on the paint issue, but the side covers can be repaired with superglue and baking soda. Use the liquid superglue and form a drop on the plastic sidecover. THen, just dust it with baking soda. The glue will instantly harden. Repeat this process over and over to build up a "weld" along the crack. It can be sanded and painted just like plastic.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I don't know about rock chips, there ain't a lot that will stand up to that.

When I painted my tank and covers I just used regular Dupli-color Van and Truck spray paint, sanded between coats and let them each dry at least 24 hrs and cleared with THIS stuff.

That clear is tough stuff, I've spilled gas on it repeatedly and it doesn't touch it. I haven't seen any chips in it either.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        I can't speak on the paint issue, but the side covers can be repaired with superglue and baking soda. Use the liquid superglue and form a drop on the plastic sidecover. THen, just dust it with baking soda. The glue will instantly harden. Repeat this process over and over to build up a "weld" along the crack. It can be sanded and painted just like plastic.
        The Superglue won't work for a crack, you will just build up a pile and then sand it off. If it was a full out break it might work better but for a crack I don't think so. Unfortunately I don't really have an answer though.

For the paint a quart would be enough. You rarely can buy auto paint in.less than a quart anyways. For the rock chips I think you just have to deal with it, clear coat and paint is not meant to withstand impacts. Unless you go with a custom colored bedliner.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke on Wheels View Post
          How much paint does it take to repaint a tank and the two side covers?
          And.........Is there a special clear coat to help protect from stone chips?

I am thinking about changing the color of my bike this winter.
          I would also have to see if I can change the color of the custom leather seat from wine to black. I have the stock seat too, but the custom seat that came with the bike is way more comfortable.
          A lot of variables here.... Are you planning on using rattlecans, or spraying with an actual gun? Solid, metallic, or translucent color? Covering a dark color with a lighter color?

I can tell you that with a small HVLP 'detail' gun (like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-94572.html), you can easily paint a tank and sidecovers with one pint of single-stage solid color, because I've done it. Generally, the minimum amount of paint you can get is one quart, so having enough is rarely the issue. This assumes that you've prepped and primed the parts to an even color.

As far as protection from stone chips, use a catalyzed paint (either a single-stage or a basecoat/clearcoat system, but the latter will cost you more $$) for the toughest finish. There are plastic films you can apply over the paint for protection also, but I don't know how well those will do with fuel exposure when you inevitably spill gas on it.

For dying leather, try these guys (http://www.angelusshoepolish.com/). I just got done redoing a chair and ottoman using their products and am quite pleased with the results. Wash the leather with acetone to remove any finish and clean it, then apply the dye, followed by a finish coat. A pint of each should be more than enough....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            The Superglue won't work for a crack, you will just build up a pile and then sand it off. If it was a full out break it might work better but for a crack I don't think so. Unfortunately I don't really have an answer though..
            Nate, for crack repair I've had good luck super-gluing the crack then reinforcing it on the backside of the part with the baking soda. Build it up to 1/8"+ thick for at least a 1/2" on either side of the crack and it seems to work pretty good...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

On a sidecover I have also had them backed with fiberglass mat and resin to reinforce the front filler. Could not tell from outside.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

you can also reinforce the crack with a red hot paper clips, and then lay up mat and resin...I'm trying to fix a broken locking tab on my left side cover, so I might take some pics
                Last edited by mikubuilder; 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM. Reason: mispell
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                  Looks like lots of good info.
                  I have a friend who would prep and gun it for me for around $100.
                  I have to decide on a color yet, but pretty sure I want to die the seat black.
                  It was custom ordered by the original owner and matches the color of the bike.
                  80 XS1100 SG "Iron Horse"

Comment

The Easy Way

I did my side cover the easy way - took it to my favorite body shop. These days the shops have special adhesives that they use to practically glue a whole car together with. Not a lot of welding going on anymore.

My left side cover came off and was run over? Cracked it on the one side and across the top. Did not look like it could be easily repaired.

BUT the repair is not visible and the seams are perfect. Didn't even disturb the emission label on the inside and it was cracked right at it. Took a little effort to match the paint, but it was doable. Pretty much a perfect repair.

Below is a picture taken prior to obtaining a new emblem.

MP

1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      Nate, for crack repair I've had good luck super-gluing the crack then reinforcing it on the backside of the part with the baking soda. Build it up to 1/8"+ thick for at least a 1/2" on either side of the crack and it seems to work pretty good...
                      That's what I was aiming at. Kinda like a "weld". You'd likely not want to sand the inside of it flat though, to leave as much material as possible to retain strength.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        That's what I was aiming at. Kinda like a "weld". You'd likely not want to sand the inside of it flat though, to leave as much material as possible to retain strength.
                        Well if I weld something, I grind it flat so you don't know there is a weld.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well if I weld something, I grind it flat so you don't know there is a weld.
                          Not a good choice.............just advice from a certified welder up to and including 1"
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            Not a good choice.............just advice from a certified welder up to and including 1"
                            You always gotta rain on my parade...

If it were actual structural I don't grind it off cause then it isn't something that needs to be pretty.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You always gotta rain on my parade...

If it were actual structural I don't grind it off cause then it isn't something that needs to be pretty.
                              Just sprinkle on occassion......
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X