Winterizing the Iron Horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing the Iron Horse

Well, the weather is sadly and quickly turning towards winter already here in Northern Michigan.

I am hoping to maybe squeeze a ride or two into the next 4-6 weeks, but then it will be time to put her to sleep for a few months.

That being said, what exactly should I do for the winter/idle months?

Should I store it with a tank full of "STABIL"ized fuel?
    I am hoping to do some of the recommended mods to her during the winter, starting with the fuse block.

Would appreciate any info on proper winter storage for this sweet ol bike.
    It will be our first winter together, as I just bought her this spring.

Thanks!
    80 XS1100 SG "Iron Horse"

That was a topic I just read about the other day, they said add IOS/heet or seafoam to a full tank let it run into the carbs and then cut off the fuel to them and let them run out. Also take and remove the plugs and add a good table spoon of motor oil/replace the plugs and turn it over a few times.
    Other then that I take my battery out for inside warm storage. Maybe add a charge sometime towards spring. I'm sure some others can add to this.
    (Side note, I never used seafoam and not sure what temps its rated for.)
    I'm up north as well and want to make sure it can with stand the brutal cold snaps we get.
    81 H

Comment

I would use seafoam over stabil any day!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        I would use seafoam over stabil any day!
        I think I have a can of that around. How much would you think for a full tank of gas?
        80 XS1100 SG "Iron Horse"

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke on Wheels View Post
          I think I have a can of that around. How much would you think for a full tank of gas?
          Read the can, but personally I would probably just dump the whole can in.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I live in central Michigan. I park mine in late Oct- early Dec. just depends on when the last time the weather permited a ride. I fill the gas tank with gas only, I have never used any additives and never will. I have never had any problem with any of my vehicles, even the two cycles. I don't try to fix a problem that doesn't exist. For those of you the believe in additives, that's fine just not for me. I try to put a charger on the battery once a month. In March/April when I crank it over it fires right up and runs great. I'm sure if I took it to a dyno or drag strip there would be a difference in performance but I can't fell it in the seat of my pants. I take the wheels off inspect and grease the bearings, (the grease seals pop right off with a small screwdriver and pop right back on with your fingers) bleed the brakes, give it a general look over/cleaning. Check valve clearance. Change the oil/filter in late winter. I'm sure some of you will disagree and that's fine. I'm not telling anyone what to do, just saying what I do.
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

These are all just opinions so take them for what their worth...

Personally, I dont leave gas in my tank because it is sealed with kream. IDK if you guys have liners in your tanks, but if you do then dont leaving gas in the tank, it just means you'll have to burn stale gas come spring... Only reason to leave gas in it is to keep it from rusting if you dont have it coated.

Regardless if you leave gas in your tank or not, I advise people to drain their carb bowls. Just because you have stabilizer in the gas doesn't keep it from evaporating and leaving varnish on all the internals. Come spring its as simple as add fresh gas, turn to prime for a minute and hit start. I have done this the past 3 years and have never had to tear them down to clean them, they always perform as good as they did when it put it into storage. Nows a good time to consider changing your fuel filters too.

I like to change all the oils before storage. No reason to keep that nasty oil sitting in there, all the particles settle out of the oil and form sludge, might as well change it so it has fresh oil when you hit the start button in the spring (or middle of winter to remind you what it sounds like).

I typically pull my battery and take it inside where it is warm and but it on the charger once a month for a few days or so. I never add any oil to the cylinders like some recommend but when I get the bike back out in spring I pull the plugs out and let the starter turn it over for a good half a dozen cranks to get oil up in the top end.
              Last edited by WMarshy; 09-24-2012, 05:47 PM.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I fill the tank.half can seafoam,shut off fuel and run until carbs are empty. fresh oil and filter, wash bike,put trickle charger on from time to time,slip on bike cover and read a great biker story to her before her long winters nap.
                FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Second on running/draining the carbs dry. I pretty much do this anytime she's going to be sitting for more than a couple of weeks.
                  1995 KZ100P
                  Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                  Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Storage

As far as the removing plugs and adding a shot of oil in the cylinders is concerned, I would recommend using ATF instead. The ATF will burn when restarting the engine. Oil will foul the plugs when restarting. The ATF will give good lubrication and rust prevention. When added, spin the engine over briefly to coat the cylinders - with plugs installed and ignition off.

Fuel additives could include Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. Shutting off the fuel, running it out of gas is a good measure.

Battery Tender or equivalent on the battery full time is better for the battery than sitting over the winter, then recharging.

Covering the bike with (your choice) is good to keep the elements off of her, even if stored inside.

Keeping the tires off of the ground will keep them from flat spotting.

MP
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke on Wheels View Post
                      - - - Would appreciate any info on proper winter storage for this sweet ol bike. - - -
                      Hi Zeke,
                      outside or in an unheated building?
                      Oilchange, remove battery for indoor storage and keep it charged up, drain carbs, drain tank then pour in a cupful of oil and slosh around, wash, wax, cover.
                      Inside a heated garage?
                      Besides removing the battery and hooking it up to a timer and 1 Amp charger (I'm too cheap to buy a proper battery tender)
                      All I do is shove it in a corner and throw a tarp over it.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                      X