OEM Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Tires

Looking to buy new tires. Bridgestome Mag-Mopus. RWL. Any suggestions or replacements?
    80 LG

As far as tyres go, those Bridgestone Mag Mopus's make great rim protectors and that's about it.
    I've recently switched from Bridgestone Spitfires to Avon Roadriders which give good mileage and excellent grip as well, wet or dry.
    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Shinko 712, best bang for your buck, black wall only, however I don't like the skinny 100/90/19 front, I use the larger 110/90/19, tight fit though but no problems. The rear 130/90/16 fits the rear just fine. If you want RWL, I'd go with the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires, 100/90/19 front and 130/90/16 rear, both fit just fine, JMHO. YMMV.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 09-22-2012, 08:15 AM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

just got a set of Shinkos 712 from Bike Bandit $120 delivered in two days to your door
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

i also just put shinko 712's on my '80 special. not bad for an inexpensive tire. these are an experiment vs. more expensive dunlops. so far i like them. about 500 miles and so far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
            just got a set of Shinkos 712 from Bike Bandit $120 delivered in two days to your door

It's $105 for the pair through Motorcycle Superstore with Free shipping.. usually 2 days but sometimes 3.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Sorry for the late notice, I have two Motorcycle Superstore discount coupons that can be used for tires. Unfortunately they expire 9/24/12 at 23:59 PST.

Up to 43% off Briidgestone = M71-BRIDG5
              Up to 40% off Michelin = M351-MICH5

Hope someone can use them before they expire, their only good for one purchase.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                It's $105 for the pair through Motorcycle Superstore with Free shipping.. usually 2 days but sometimes 3.
                oh well, so they took me for $15, wouldn't be first time...

BTW you sound like my brother...everytime I bought something he would email me week later with some cheaper internet special....I hate it
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                  oh well, so they took me for $15, wouldn't be first time...

BTW you sound like my brother...everytime I bought something he would email me week later with some cheaper internet special....I hate it

LOL.. Yeah, I always shop around and find the lowest price, then order from Motrcycle Superstore since they guaranteee lowest price. You'll just have to call them and tell them the website you got it from, and they'll also count in any shipping fees as part of the total cost.

And you're welcome, bro! lol.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tires

Tried a Metzler on the front and noticed an immediate better ride quality. Took a Dunlop off. So impressed with it, I put another on the rear. The V rated tire is for higher speed, but supposedly has a shorter life than the H rated one.

MP
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                      Tried a Metzler on the front and noticed an immediate better ride quality. Took a Dunlop off. So impressed with it, I put another on the rear. The V rated tire is for higher speed, but supposedly has a shorter life than the H rated one.

MP
                      Yep it do, an even softer rubber compound, and these bikes can't even hit the H rated speed let alone hold that speed. Consistantly holding the rated speed rating for an 'X' amount of time is how they are rated anyways. Same goes for load rating combined with the speed rating for 'X' amount of time.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I think it is 1 hour that they rate the tire at.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will look into these over the winter as I am lucky if I have another month of riding.
                          80 LG

Comment

I recently installed a Shinko 712 on the rear of my bike. When I bought the bike it had a dunlop with 1/4 to 1/3 tread. I didn't get 1,500 miles out of the remaining tread. After a 300-400 mile ride I could notice considerable wear. I had OEM Dunlops on my VTX and I really didn't like them either. It kinda sucks because I have decent luck with Dunlop car tires. As far as the Shinko's I have just under 500mi on them and love them so far. I wouldn't recommend if you do much or any gravel though. Also it breaks free a lot more easily than the Dunlops on grass.
                            1979 XS1100 SF
                            1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                            1981 KZ650CSR
                            2006 VTX 1300C
                            1986 Radian 600

Comment

Working...
                            X