Brakes... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes... again

So the last piece of my brake rebuild was adding stainless lines to the front. The ones I ordered originally were the wrong size. This weekend, I did a lot of work to the bike including installing the new brake lines.

Everything was fine until yesterday coming home from work. Squeezing the lever when I got home, I noticed fluid coming out of my left front caliper.

Taking it apart, it's really clean. There is some pitting in the caliper itself though. I'm assuming it was fine before due to the old lines being really bad, and it not building up much pressure. They've been fine before the new stainless lines for the last 3-4 months.

So, is there any good way to really tell if the caliper is truly bad? My thought is to reseat the piston, hook the one caliper up to the master cylinder and just start squeezing to see if fluid starts coming out.

If it's f'd is there really any fix? Found one off a wrecked bike on eBay for cheap and ordered it just in case.

So, you rebuilt the caliper with a seal kit, right? But used the original piston, complete with pitting. Usually the pitting is not in the area that slides inside the seal. But, now you've fitted braided lines, you have a fluid leak at the piston. Is that it? If so, it's probably the seal you used having some crud on iot. Is it in correctly? Did you throughly clean the cylinder after removing the piston and old seal? Exactly where is the fluid leaking from?....'Caliper' is a broad term....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Is there any chance you pinched the o-ring on the piston when you assembled it? If you end up taking it out again I recommend hitting the bore with some fine sandpaper to clean up any corrosion and junk that might be stuck in there. I dont see any way around taking it apart again and inspecting that o-ring...
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I didn't reuse anything, it's a new seal and piston. The fluid leak definitely seems like it's coming from the seal. Taking it apart again this evening, it really looks fine besides some really light scratches inside the bore itself.

I'll try some fine sandpaper and put it all back together and see what happens.

My wife is laughing at me, I think this is the 4th time I've had my front brakes apart now.

Comment

I took the caliper apart again last night, and I did find one section of the seal seat in the bore that looked like it still had a bit of crap in it. Cleaned it out, put it all back together, and now I'm hoping for the best.

At least I can tear down/rebuild my calipers and bleed my brakes in a matter of minutes now.

Comment

_

theres nothing more aggrivating when ur wife thinks ur an idiot. thats why i dont have 1. haha haha i can laugh at myself!
            it sounds like u found the culprit. practice sometimes makes perfect, but not always. good luck!
            Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM.
            Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
            Kerker 4/1
            stock carbs and air box.
            78 headlite, handle bars,
            1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
            crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
            78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
            94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

LOL.

I actually think my wife probably believes I sabotage my bike just so I can keep working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by JScro View Post
                LOL.

I actually think my wife probably believes I sabotage my bike just so I can keep working on it.
                Tell her that she should be thankful that you are working on it, and not hanging out with the Harley riders at the local bar. CZ

Comment

Working...
                X