Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about self-canceling turn signals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about self-canceling turn signals.

I have an intermittent self-canceling turn signal in both directions, but fails more on the right than left turn. I realize this is not earth shattering as problems go, but I do a lot of around town, and, I don't want to stress it by having to constantly push the switch to off, especially if there might be a fix. Plus, my attention to detail isn't what it used to be so I forget to check it a lot which is probably pretty aggrevating to those behind me. Any suggestions on what I might do? Or, is it not worth the grief? Thanks for any help, Jon
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1965 T125 Triumph Custom Chopper

If they cancel sometimes, that at least proves they do work. 90%+ of all electrical problems on these bikes are due to dirty/corroded connections, so that should be the first place to look. Check all the plug connections, particularly the self-cancel unit and the reed switch at the speedo. Those reed switches can fail (although I've never heard of one being intermittant), so that's a possibility too....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If it cancels only some of the time, then my bet would be the reed switch in the speedo isn't 'counting' off the distance like it should.
      The stock flasher is waiting for the 'shut off' signal from the flasher canceling unit and then it'll turn off the flasher.
      Likewise, if the left handle switch wasn't working right, then the lights wouldn't start flashing at all, so the problem is either in the canceling unit or the reed switch. You could have a 'bad/dirty' connection going to the flasher thus the flasher isn't see the 'full signal' to shut them off, or the reed switch isn't counting, or the speedo 'magnet' isn't as strong as it once was.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by LiteFiter View Post
        I don't want to stress it by having to constantly push the switch to off
        There's no stress as such. It is meant to be pushed. The modern Yamahas don't have self-cancelling indicators and are just a push off all the time.

When the XS1100 came out over here, they made a big deal about the self-cancel thing but I'm not sure I rate it very highly. It can be unreliable, leading to riding along with an indicator merrily flashing whilst cars pull out in front of you because they think you're turning. I always end up pushing the switch anyway, just to be sure. Then I know it's off.

The other thing they made a big deal of was what was described as a 'shaver socket' on the bike..... you know, the 12v fused power point under the right side panel. Handy if you have a 12 volt shaver...... I used mine once whilst camping, to light up an indicator bulb in my tent..... I woke up next day with a flat battery.....
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I can just see the commercial! "Come to your local Yamaha dealer and buy the new XS1100 featuring auto turn signal cancelling and an electric shaver plug in, for the rugged man!" Then there would be some guy with a thick black beard and man burger poking out the shirt collar with one of those sophisticated hot 80's blondes on his arm. Did I nail it or what!
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
            I can just see the commercial! "Come to your local Yamaha dealer and buy the new XS1100 featuring auto turn signal cancelling and an electric shaver plug in, for the rugged man!" Then there would be some guy with a thick black beard and man burger poking out the shirt collar with one of those sophisticated hot 80's blondes on his arm. Did I nail it or what!
            You did nail it. I had a poster from 1977 which a dealer sent me to entice me to buy one (it worked). The official colour was called 'Macho Maroon'. Says it all. The fuel tank was described thus "Knowing the type of guy with an XS1100 will want to cover the miles,the fuel tank capacity......" etc etc. Only butch, macho girls needed to apply, it would seem. With hairy legs, needing a shaver.

Re the blondes... well the UK mags had that all the time for every bike. Strangely enough, the publicity for the XS1100, launched in Senegal, showed crowds of awestruck Senegalese (all male) and one of the pix has a Senegalese bloke riding an XS1100. The thing is, looking at the proportions, he appears to be about 5' 4" tall and the bike looks even more enormous than it actually is anyway.

ps what's a "man burger"?
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

A man burger is a hairy chest.
              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

You'll get a kick out of this one. For a while I was wrenching on a 1983 Nissan 280ZX, and this commercial was one of our favorites from the era. They should have made one for the Midnight Special.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZUFOjrLErU

Comment

Nice car though. I always wanted a 280ZX. It was having to wear a tache that put me off.

Comment

Working...
                  X